Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stoneporch
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

ribbed gearbox

Post by Stoneporch »

Two questions in one, really. I have started to strip the gearbox because of a rumble, which was only noticeable when in neutral. Any ideas what could be the cause of this, as nothing is obvious yet? Also, is there a correct/easy way to remove the two needle roller bearings, at either end of the lay-shaft, which are held in by circlips with no holes? I have been advised to force a small screwdriver behind the circlips, but without success so far, as I don't want to risk damaging the housing.
Thanks for any thoughts. Stoneporch.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: ribbed gearbox

Post by ianmack »

A rumble in neutral sounds like the first motion shaft bearing. Did it stop when you pressed the clutch pedal down? Layshaft clips should come out with a small pointed screwdriver if you persevere, and this shouldn’t do any damage to the shaft.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

As above pointed screw driver behind the circlip - but they are a right fiddle to remove.
When fitting new layshaft roller bearings you may find that the new roller bearings are longer and the outer circlips cannot be fitted. That is not a problem - just discard the outer circlips.

Stoneporch
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Stoneporch »

Thanks both.
It sounds like I just have to persevere trying to poke the circlips out.