Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
splitscreen
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Fitting a new copper fuel line

Post by splitscreen »

Due to the old steel pipe having to be cut at the tank end in order to remove the tank I now need to fit a new copper one.
Any advice on how to do this would be useful having never done it before!
I still have the old steel one which I took out so would it be a case of matching the new one up to this to copy the bends?I presume I will need a pipe bender particularly in order to achieve the 180 bend where the pipe joins the fuel pump?

Thanks, Paul
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Fitting a new copper fuel line

Post by King Kenny »

When I accidental drilled through the fuel pipe on the wife's car I bought a new copper-alloy fuel line with all the difficult bends built in, saved a lot of hassle.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Buy a cheap hand pipe bender from a plumbers merchant or screw fix https://www.screwfix.com/p/mini-tube-bender/17898. Remember that once you bend copper it will have work hardened. If you need to re-bend it, heat with a blow torch until you see colour running then quench, you can quench in water but this will allow corrosion, much better to quench in a water vinegar mix.

I should have said, don't anneal the copper pipe if near or attached to the fuel tank!!! :oops:
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Annealing copper - fast or slow cooing does not make any difference. Alloys may be different. Copper suffers from brittle failures if it can vibrate, rattle, etc. Extra 360 degree coils are often added to the line to reduce this problem. Most fuel pipes, these days, are plastic.
splitscreen
Minor Friendly

Post by splitscreen »

King Kenny wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:41 pm When I accidental drilled through the fuel pipe on the wife's car I bought a new copper-alloy fuel line with all the difficult bends built in, saved a lot of hassle.

I have not seen this for Morris Minors - where did you get it from?
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

splitscreen wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:50 pm
King Kenny wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:41 pm When I accidental drilled through the fuel pipe on the wife's car I bought a new copper-alloy fuel line with all the difficult bends built in, saved a lot of hassle.

I have not seen this for Morris Minors - where did you get it from?
lordy! It was thirty years ago. We were living near Bath so I would imagine it would have been from the Morris Minor Centre (Bath) spares shop at Limply-Stoke. I know that enterprise has been taken over by another main supplier. Check out your favourite.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

When I had to cut my fuel pipe I used a piece of rubber tubing and two jubilee clips to connect the two ends together. This was several decades ago and it is still there.