Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Quality of New Parts

Post by pgp001 »

I have just had the wheels off my Traveller to have them powder coated, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to go round with the grease gun on the suspension joints.
I was dismayed to find that the track rod end rubber boots are badly perished and splitting already, they were brand new around 1000 miles ago in May 2018. I got these from one of the main suppliers that we all use and have sent them a message asking for comments about this problem so we shall see what response I get.

My question is, how could this have happened so quickly, is it just down to poor quality rubber being used ?
Are there any suppliers that I would be better off using in order to get some decent quality ones that will last more than a few months.

Phil
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Re: Quality of New Parts

Post by Myrtles Man »

I don't know if it's directly related, but it's interesting to consider that modern replacements for the drive 'doughnuts' used on Lotus Elans are notorious for failing after a very short time as a result of the poor quality of the rubber inserts that they contain, a consequence, apparently, of the modern-day restrictions placed on the various chemicals used in the manufacture of the rubber which simply did not apply when the much longer-lasting originals were manufactured. It does however seem likely that the same manufacturing restrictions probably apply to the various rubber bits on Moggies too.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Myrtles Man wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 pm a consequence, apparently, of the modern-day restrictions placed on the various chemicals used in the manufacture of the rubber which simply did not apply when the much longer-lasting originals were manufactured.
If that was the reason, surely rubber components on our "modern" cars would also be failing. I haven't hears of rubber hoses, bushes etc falling to pieces on modern cars and haven't experienced it on my own modern vehicles.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Probably just cheapest available manufacturer ( far-east ) ?

John :wink:
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I have had the same Problem on a new steering rack gaitors and they are not easy to replace. I smeared the outside with rubber lubricant last year to see if it helps but it has not been on Long enough to say if this works or not.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

far east cheap production is the problem ,its the same for a lot of parts not just car related , yesterday my chinese ''supposed to be the best on market '' plasma cutter blew up in style with sparks and flames shooting out of the casing :evil:
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

The trunnion seals that I make are not doomed to premature failure. I have supplied hundreds of them for Morris Minor, MGA, MGB and MG TD / TF.
No reported failures to my knowledge!
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

ManyMinors wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:02 am
Myrtles Man wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 pm a consequence, apparently, of the modern-day restrictions placed on the various chemicals used in the manufacture of the rubber which simply did not apply when the much longer-lasting originals were manufactured.
If that was the reason, surely rubber components on our "modern" cars would also be failing. I haven't hears of rubber hoses, bushes etc falling to pieces on modern cars and haven't experienced it on my own modern vehicles.
Fair enough, ManyMinors, but your experience re modern cars doesn't accord with mine; the suspension bushes on my own 'modern' are a notorious weak link, requiring replacement within an unacceptably short time, to the point where replacement with the (stiffer and therefore less than ideal) polyurethane alternatives is increasingly becoming the norm. Also, the following article does seem to suggest that concerns about modern-day rubber quality may amount to rather more than the 'things were better in my day' blinkered view that, admittedly, I do tend to adopt in unguarded moments. :oops:

http://www.antivibrationinsights.com/th ... facturing/
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

OK so I got a reply from the supplier today.

They have offered to send me two better quality rubber boots free of charge, for me to fit to the track rod ends.
The replacements are branded MMC just in case anyone else has a similar problem and needs to obtain some.

I will fit them and monitor how well they survive.

Phil
kyle m

Post by kyle m »

I fitted new trunnion rubber seals when restoring my car. Wrapped it up for the winter, went back to it in the spring. Car hadn't moved, and the new seals were in 2 pieces on the floor under the car. I have also had new chrome hockey sticks, badges and bonnet hinges start pitting within 4 months of buying them.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Original genuine BMC eye bolt and spring hanger bushes were no better but way back there was little if any alternative.

The fitting of poly bushes is much better solution than the original rubber type.

You can get poly bushes in various grades so they do not have to be bone hard.

There has been some discussion on here about the various grades /hardness of rubber and poly bushes - to find out more use the search facility.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

My Traveller has just come back from the garage having had those perished track rod boots changed for some (hopefully) better quality ones.
They also fitted my new rear suspension kit for me which included new poly bushes all round, I have to say that all the clunks and groans have now gone and it rides silky smooth across the bumps.
The ride height is back to nomal as well, so we should be OK loading it up for our weeks holiday to the coast in June.

In the end I decided to totally strip and lubricate the new spring prior to fitting them, I used a home made concoction of thick Waxoyl mixed with about 20% of Foliac Graphite flakes. This should keep them sweet for a while.

Anyone in the North going to Embsay Railway on Good Friday ?
Come and say hello, we will be there. :D

Phil
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I fit new track-rod ends a fortnight ago and noticed the rubber is already looking like its dried and will crack.

Usually I smear red rubber grease on absolutely everything (that's rubber!) which does help a bit. My brake slave cylinders are holding up beautifully.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

At the risk of being controversial, could I suggest that the parsimonious ways of Minor owners over the years may have encouraged manufacturers to produce shoddy goods at low prices?