Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Gearstick sloppy

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Hi again.The gearstick on my traveller is positive but a bit too much side play so I bought items 45(nylon thrust button) 46( spring) and 53(o ring) (Numbers from charles ware's drawing) from Charles Ware to tighten the gearstick sideplay. It's a 1963 1098 witha ribbed gearbox. gears all select and no jumping out.
No probs removing the gearstick and fitting the o ring I can see the nylon buton and the spring does function. I didn't want to fiddle about in case it sprung apart like a watch so, how do I remove the nylon button and spring which seem fixed in place?
Thanks in advance
simmitc

Re: Gearstick sloppy

Post by simmitc »

I've always found a small screwdriver stuck into the hole in the centre of the nylon cup and then twisted will extract the cup. The spring might come with it, or it might remain in place. If the former, then be careful not to drop it, if the latter then long nose pliers or a hook will extract it. The screwdriver might roughen the surface of the cup around the edges of the hole, but if you're replacing it anyway, then no problem.
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Thanks for the tip simmitc but if you look at my photo, the nylon thrust button seems to be sitting inside or underneath a metal flange?
I am a bit wary about using the screwdriver technique because when I place the new button over its location it looks too big to be pushed into place. Or does that whole metal flange lift up with the button and spring?
Have a look at the photo and see if mine looks any different.
Thanks
Attachments
resized for mmoc.jpg
resized for mmoc.jpg (356.1 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

At the risk of being boring, can anybody explain the purpose of the slot on the large ball on the bottom of the gearstick please? Does the locating screw (No. 42 on the drawing below) fit into it? The screw on mine seems short and possibly a reason for too much gearstik travel on 1st and 2nd?
Thanks in advance

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/userfile ... s_E-H.webp
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Part No. 42 looks like a retaining washer to me!:)
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Well done Oliver 90. You're right. It should be item 41. Do you have any advice on my problem?
Thanks
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

I'm happy to report that the nylon thrust and the spring were succesfully removed. As soon as I started drilling it, it lifted out. These were replaced along with the rubber o-ring. I checked the locating screw located into the groove on the gear stick and removed and lubed the plunger and this has vastly improved the gearchange .
Thanks again Simmitc for your helpful suggestion.
I got great help from American moggy lovers on this site too

https://www.morrisminorforum.com/
Apolaustic
Minor Friendly

Post by Apolaustic »

Thank you for your post and photo, wearthefoxhat. I was inspired to buy the o-ring, thrust button and spring to sort out my sloppy gearstick. I fitted them this evening, and there is an enormous improvement. That’s not surprising, because on dismantling I found a split and worn o-ring, and no thrust button and no spring. I did find (where they should be) the missing washer from one of the 7/16 bolts that secure the retaining plate ... . So, thank you.
Apolaustic
1966 white/red convertible (1098cc with alternator, electronic ignition & brake servo)