Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Brake servo

Post by Propshaft »

Hi I am considering fitting a servo on my recently restored van . I have fitted marina disc brakes and remote filler but the pedal needs a considerable amount of pressure to get the.wheels to lock. Has anybody got any feedback on the power tune lockheed type units priced at £76-50
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brake servo

Post by Sleeper »

Sorry to say but I've been told by Hydraulic re-commissioners that they are " MY FAVOURITE CAR IS A DATSUN CHERRY " , their words not mine , the rubbers seals are cheap and nasty , as is the metal casting , the other parts of it are up to standard and re-useable.

John :wink:
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Swear word censorship.........

John :lol:
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

i think they are made in a far off eastern country and therefore i would avoid given its a critical brake part and i am sure other members have had issues with them
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Better but significantly more expensive units are available. Perhaps give Frontline Developments a call?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Hi thanks for your replys I have just purchased a genuine Lockheed servo just need to fit it now
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Presumably you are going to fit it so that both front and rear brakes are 'servo'd'? May sound a stupid comment, but if you simply interrupt the brake line running from the master cylinder running towards the front of the car, which has been done, then only the front brakes will have the benefit of the servo!

The rear brakes a fed directly from the back of the master cylinder, and when fitting a servo, the supply to them must be re-routed to the front and after the servo.

What size rear brake cylinders are fitted? The early Minors, with the 7" front brakes, were originally fitted with 7/8" rear cylinders, which were always too large and would lock the rear brakes very easily. The problem is exacerbated when fitting discs to the front, as the line pressures are higher. With or without discs, I would always fit the later 3/4" rear cylinders from the 1098 engined cars and 8" front brakes.
Richard

Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Hi islipminor. Yes I will be fitting the rear brakes after the servo so back and front are after the servo , I have a 1275 engine and have fitted marina disc brakes the m/c is I am pretty sure 7/8 inch. , I have also fitted the remote filler
Thanks for the info
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Sleeper wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:12 pm Swear word censorship.........

John :lol:
Well a little tip for you; if you use the PREVIEW Button before SUBMIT you'd see what has been changed..... The list of words that are changed by the filter is quite small, so 'bullshit' as one word will get through, but if you hyphenate it..... you'll just be another Datsun Cherry lover...
Basil the 1955 series II