Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller rear suspension

Post by cococola »

On my Morris Traveller I find when I go over speed bumps the rear apears to bottom out on the bump stops. My question is this normal or do I have weak leaf springs?
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Traveller rear suspension

Post by pgp001 »

What is the gap between the top of the rubber bump stops to the place where they contact the chassis, mine are only about 20mm with no load on them. I consider that to be not enough, and am hoping to get at least 50mm if not a bit more.
I did wonder about lopping some of the top of the bump stops, but have decided to replace the whole suspension.

Just think how much all that wood hanging over the rear end must weigh for a start, then you start filling it up with luggage for your two week holiday away, and the bump stops will be doing all the work instead of the springs.

I am literally sat at the computer and just about to order a rear spring kit from ESM, it comes with all the parts you are likely to need including PU bushes and all the pins and U bolts etc. I reckon it will be £150 well spent.

Phil
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Ah thanks Phil, I will measure mine today. You are right about the weight of the wood and everything else in the back as it would be very heavy.
I have only a 5 mile journey to work but with so many speed bumps on the way and I can be so slow over the bumps and still get the bottoming out feeling when I go over the things :roll:
Regards to the kit, is it a bush kit or the springs as well ?
regards Alan
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Hi Alan

It is pretty much everything that goes between the chassis and the axle, apart from the shock absorbers.
So yes it's springs, shackles pins, bushes, U bolts & spring pads etc.

This company seems to have a good track record, they are always very fast on delivery as well.
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear-s ... es-p831326

Sounds like you have a similar daily journey distance to me except mine is not so much speed bumps, more narrow potholed moorland country lanes that never get repaired.

Phil
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

The Traveller has higher rated springs than any other model of Minor. They are 7-leaf, but the leaves are thicker than the early 948 engined cars that also had 7-leaf springs. From Chassis No. 680464 (late 1958/early 1959?), both saloons and convertibles went to a 5-leaf rear spring, but the Traveller never did.

The leaf thicknesses are:

Saloon/convertible 7-leaf 7/32" (0.219" or 5.56mm) - from BMC Workshop Manual and confirmation on car
Saloon/convertible 5-leaf 1/4" (0.250" or 6.35mm) - from BMC Workshop Manual
Traveller 7-leaf 1/4" (0.250" or 6.35mm) - from measurement of spare Traveller rear spring - please confirm on known Traveller spring!
Richard

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I will measure my new ones when they arrive and compare them whith the ones currently fitted.

I did wonder if the van springs would also fit, I believe they have eight leaves but are probably going to be too stiff for a Traveller.

Phil
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

The van springs were 7-leaf up to Chassis No. 6042, and after that 8-leaf, but the van springs will not fit the saloon/convertible/traveller, as the design of the front end of the spring is different, and only used on the van & pick-up.
Richard

Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

Yup, they are 8 leaf, however front spring eye is larger on the vans/pickups so you just can't fit them without a lot of aggro.

I think you'd find them too stiff on a traveller anyways, where it has been known for people to remove leaves from even the 7-leaf pack....
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

The spring kit looks excellent value Phil and I would think everything there would hopefully rectify the problem. Im very tempted to get this kit. :)
Very interesting the figures and sizes quoted and the fact that the Traveller is different to other models.
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

getting the pin out at the front was an absolute mare on my car however - had to resort to a very large hammer and an extension bar to get it off!