Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: rear crankshaft scroll.

Post by philthehill »

Whilst this is a light hearted photo and I did not swing the Beast of Turin it is important to note the position of my thumb on the starter handle.
Attachments
Beast14.JPG
Beast14.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1218 times

wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Very wise. I'll bear this in mind. :D
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Update on the oil leak from rear of engine. While ordering the starter pull cable, I ordered a non vented cap. Cable fitted and new oil cap fitted I drove round the block a few times to get it warmed up. Parking it on the drive, I immediately went for the sand bucket to catch the drips. Lo and behold --3 drops of oil from the jiggle pin and that was it I can live with that.. I'll go a longer drive tomorrow but for today, things are a bit more hopeful.
Thanks again guys for all your input.
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

philthehill wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:53 am The scroll will still be on the crankshaft.
You may have to rob a rear cover off an unserviceable block. It may be worth doing a search on 'e' bay - or you could borrow the top cover off your spare engine.
Having been waylaid on the gardening front, I am back on trying to remove the top cove off my "spare" engine. The heads of the three bolts are jamming against the crankshaft flange (see photo). I removed the backplate to see if that would help. The top cover is now loose but I cant remove it as I can't get the bolts out. apart from cutting the bolts, does anybody have any tips on this?
Attachments
20190418_cover.jpg
20190418_cover.jpg (4.44 MiB) Viewed 1097 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Try removing the plate with the bolts still in the holes. The plate does not have a flange, it just fits flat against the rear face of the block so it will just slide upwards once you have broken the gasket seal.

I have just removed one of the three bolts (after breaking the lock wire) securing the plate on a spare small block 'A' Series and it could be removed without any difficulty.

The three bolts should have a pair of holes through the bolt head to allow for the fitting of the lock wire.

If your bolts do not have the holes then you appear to have the incorrect bolts fitted which may be longer than original.

If you cannot remove the plate with the bolts through the holes please come back on here for further advice.

The length of bolt under the head is 9/16". Diameter 1/4" UNF with 7/16" Across the flats (A/F) head.

The bolts should be secured in place with locking wire and not have spring washers as you appear to have fitted.

wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Hi philthehil. Thanks for the quick reply. There are no holes in the bolt heads for tying wire. Thebolts are 7/16AF and 1/4 diameter.
The bolts are unscrewed as far as possible but still "feel"as though they are still screwed into the block. the top cover is loose but but can't remove it due to the bolts.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am afraid you have three courses of action and they are:-

1, Cut the heads off the bolts so as they can be unscrewed further to allow the top cover to slide upwards and off the block.

2. Remove the crankshaft.

3. Obtain a top cover and the three correct locking wire bolts off another engine. I would suggest that you put a request for a top cover and bolts on here in the wanted section.

wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Add now in the wanted section
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The wanted request is not appearing in the wanted section. You may have to submit again.

wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Thought I had posted it right away. Anyway, it is there now. Sadly plenty of views but none for sale yet.