Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

803 stuck in first gear?

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Does anyone have any ideas why an 803 would stick in first gear?

Background on the car is 14000 mile car laid up since the 60s but has been running and selecting well and probably covered at least 3 miles in the last few weeks, then suddenly sticks in first.

Im wondering if its anything to do with the reverse selector spring, I know this is prone to breaking on the MM but not so sure about 803.

Too many Minors so little time.....
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: 803 stuck in first gear?

Post by Nickol »

There is a detailed thread on this somewhere in the Forum - apparantly the Problem is not uncommon....bit I cannot find it at the Moment.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Clutch could be stuck on perhaps? Mine was stuck when it was laid up prior to 2009.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23524
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Dean wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:19 pm Clutch could be stuck on perhaps? Mine was stuck when it was laid up prior to 2009.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23524
Easily checked. Depress clutch pedal and try turning the engine with the starter motor. And only really relevant if the car was on a slope, so bearing on the gear train.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

The clutch wouldn’t cause it to stick in gear, though. Nickol is absolutely right on this one - it’s a known problem with these boxes (including the later ones fitted to the 1098) and there are several threads on here on it. I’ve had it happen to me once (after coming down a section of 1:3 hill in first) and the car is literally impossible to get out of first. From memory, it’s due to something moving too far on the overrun in first, which allows detent balls to pop out too far, preventing disengagement of first. I believe the problem can often be seen if you remove the gearbox side cover.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Thank you for all your suggestions! Its most likely as liamonty suggests the selector passed the detent balls and stuck.

When I called up the owner had almost removed the gear lever from the box, I tried to get it back in place but it wouldnt go. I removed the lever completely and with a hand lamp could then see the 2 selectors side by side. I put in a large screwdriver and pushed against the selector and it pulled into place with a bit of force. The lever then fitted back into place and gears have selected again normally. Some fresh oil in the gearbox and axle is next on the agenda for this car as its been laid up since 1966!

Too many Minors so little time.....