Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

brake master cylinder failed

Post by cococola »

My Traveller master cylinder has failed resulting in loss of brakes so I wonder if anybody has had any success at fitting a repair kits atall?
I fitted one on my previous Morris and I still had to fit a new replacement unit afterwards, so is there a method to fitting or where would be the best place to purchase please?
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: brake master cylinder failed

Post by ianmack »

I think the consensus on Minor master cylinders is that new seals are inadvisable. Even if the old cylinder looks ok new seals do not always make for a good repair, as you have found, and in the case of the Minor the awkward location means that having to then do the job twice is a real pain.

A new cylinder is probably the safest route and all the regular suppliers stock them.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I wouldn't personally bother fitting new seals for the reasons mentioned above. The other thing worth mentioning is that there is a cheaper "pattern" master cylinder available. My Minor had just had one of these fitted prior to my purchase - they have a square filler plug. It started leaking soon afterwards and after regularly re-filling it for a couple of months I bit the bullet and bought a Lockheed one which has given me trouble-free motoring ever since. These can be bought on ebay and suchlike for around £75.00. Your life depends on your brakes really, so it isn't a huge price.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I totally agree with all the above. Due to the position of the master cylinder, they usually suffer corrosion pits in the bore. Fitting new seals are a waste of time and money as the fluid leaks past the pits.
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Many thanks for the valuable feedback I have just purchased a new one off Ebay for £75 so time to prepare for a nice awkward job.
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

They aren't all that awkward at all really... Good luck :)
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

You may find that some of the new master cylinders are a tad wider than the originals and will not fit inside the chassis leg without dressing with an angle grinder.

Regards
Declan
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Well today I started the removal of the brake master cylinder and after alot of fiddle the brake pipe/banjo connection snapped off and I have to order a new one :( Ive removed the master cylinder ready so Iam at a standstill until the connector arrives.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

To keep you going you could temporarily rob the adapter bolt off a rear cylinder.

The adapter bolt Pt No: 27H7167 is the same item as fitted to the master cylinder and the rear brake cylinder.

The banjo is also the same Pt No: 27H7189.

To remove and replace the rear cylinder banjo and bolt is easier and much quicker than the master cylinder banjo and bolt and you will still have to bleed the rear brakes anyway

If you have not got new copper washers just anneal those that you have.

At least worth a consideration.

cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Thats a good Idea I didnt consider otherwise i would have used it today.