Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MCminor11
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Extra rattle

Post by MCminor11 »

I can be travelling at any speed and the engine sounds normal, but as soon as the throttle is depressed a tappet like sound happens. I’ve had a 10,000 mile service done 4 months ago, the tappets checked and adjusted and this has occurred since. I can’t see anything loose in the engine bay, and surely, if it were tappets, the noise would occur at all times? The rattle is not linked to engine speed at all, does not vary. What am I missing?
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Re: Extra rattle

Post by King Kenny »

Sound like it could be pinking (preignition). Check ignition timing.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

King Kenny is very likely spot on. The timing should automatically retard when vacuum in the manifold decreases and that may be a cause - if it has been timed properly but is now stuck in the fully advanced position...

Do you have a timing light? These will show up a problem such as this in a flash (pardon the pun!).
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Immediaetly check compression on all cylinders. This sound could also be a head gasket failing; and there seem to have been a spate of them recently. I've found that although it's a distinctive sounds when you know what it is, many people describe it as a rattle. Hopefully it is pinking, but best to rule the gasket out to be on the safe side.
MCminor11
Minor Friendly

Post by MCminor11 »

Thanks. Unfortunately due to problem eyesight - yes I am legal to drive! - I will have to get that checked. I’ve heard pinking before and I’m pretty sure it isn’t that. Will post a reply, soon. M
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Engine steady bar loose? Throttle cable hitting bonnet support? Blowing exhaust gasket?
Cardiff, UK
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Travelling at Speed is the main symptom and it sounds like a sort of pinking`? Does it start as soon as you accelerate a bit? If it does, then this was a similar Problem in mine which Philthehill suggested could be a worn Timing chain. I replaced it and the noise was considerably reduced. I will see if I can locate thread.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

hieris the thread link

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69052

Phil chastised me a bit because I did the simplex as opposed to the Duplex Change he recommended. That is probably why you can still just hear the "tappet" sounding noise so i should have followed his advice. but if it had not been so loud before I would not be noticing it now.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If it is just a rattle, then check that the air filter housing is tight, and that the intake silencer tube has not fractured around its base. These faults are more likely to produce a roar and be present at all times, but still worth checking. It's the fact that the noise appears when the engine is under load that dtaws me to pinking or head gasket as above; but the filter is easy to check.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I have a rattle at certain speeds. I"ve traced it to a missing grommet where the bonnet release rod passes through the bulkhead.
1956 4-door called Max
MCminor11
Minor Friendly

Post by MCminor11 »

Congratulations to all who said it could be a gasket or the timing chain. Pat yourselves on the back guys! The timing chain is rattling a bit and the ubiquitous oil leak visible on the drive is from its gasket! There is also a failing gasket on the inlet manifold. Of to get a duplex set and lots of gaskets! M
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well done and good luck with the fix! Funny noises are sometimes difficult to describe. I would say pinking is more of a tinkling sound, and would describe the noise when my head gasket went (between cylinders 1 and 2) as a clattering noise. When my crankshaft failed it was a knocking noise. But when you have a plethora of words to choose from it can be difficult to find the right one to describe your symptoms properly - clattering, knocking, squeaking, whirring, tapping, scraping, grinding, tinkling, rattling, clonking etc. :D
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

my car developed a tinny rattle at idle which i traced to old exhaust paste in side the silencer which must have fell in when i took the down pipe off , it sounds like the cars about to fall apart !! :)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

That is not uncommon and often the result of over-enthusiastic use of exhaust paste on the joint.........