Pedal pivot woes.

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)
MMOC Member: Yes

Pedal pivot woes.

Post by BrianHawley »

I have just noticed that when I push the clutch in, the brake pedal pushes back slightly. Not much, maybe an 8th of an inch, but you can definitely feel it. Same with engine running or not.

I’m guessing this is play in the bearings supporting the clutch pedal shaft on which the brake pedal pivots, as the brake pedal pushes back. If it was the brake pedal binding to the shaft I would expect it to move forward when the clutch was pressed.

My question is how much movement (if any) is “normal”? Is this a big deal for immediate attention, or leave until next time I have the carpets out?

Haven’t had it up on the ramps to take a look yet, but may do so at the weekend.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Pedal pivot woes.

Post by Dean »

Not familiar with working in that area, but I guess it's one of those take the gearbox panel off and take a look while pressing the clutch. It's a long shot but it might just need some lubrication. Good luck.

Can't really comment on if it's right that it does move, other than I guess it shouldn't and you should be looking at it.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There should be no movement of the brake pedal when the clutch pedal is pushed down.

I suspect that when the clutch is pressed down the brake pedal return spring pulls the brake up the last 1/8".

As above I would suggest that lack of lubrication is the root cause of the problem.

Fitting a grease nipple to the brake pedal will help considerably.
100_1893.JPG
100_1893.JPG (238.44 KiB) Viewed 3236 times

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Just finished a service and grease up, this post is a timely reminder to include the brake pedal, I fitted a nipple during the rebuild but forgot to include it in this recent work. I’ll be rectifying this now ! :D

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

Thanks guys, all useful information.

Looks like a carpets out and gearbox cover off job.

I’ve had a look up on the ramps and nothing is obviously loose, so let’s hope it’s just lube. If not, then the shaft comes out for inspection and maybe replacement and new bearings. Fitting a grease nipple is a good tip. Thanks Phil and Les.
Brian

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

You do not need to remove the entire gearbox cover to lubricate the shaft, only the smaller plate over the master cylinder. However, if there is movement of both pedals then that usually means that the shaft on the clutch pedal is worn and/or the bearing inside the brake opedal. You will need to remove the full cover to remove the clutch pedal. A new bearing for the brake pedal can be pressed in wih a vice, but the clutch pedal shaft will need replacing - it is welded to the pedal, and usually available as a complete reconditioned unit if required.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

simmitc wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 am You do not need to remove the entire gearbox cover to lubricate the shaft, only the smaller plate over the master cylinder. However, if there is movement of both pedals then that usually means that the shaft on the clutch pedal is worn and/or the bearing inside the brake opedal. You will need to remove the full cover to remove the clutch pedal. A new bearing for the brake pedal can be pressed in wih a vice, but the clutch pedal shaft will need replacing - it is welded to the pedal, and usually available as a complete reconditioned unit if required.
Noted and thanks. I need to take the whole cover off anyway as there is other work to do.
Brian

newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

As far as I remember you have to take the gearbox out in order to remove the shaft.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Thankfully not necessary to copletely remove the box. With the linkage disconnected, it is usually possible to wiggle the clutch pedal out. Worst case, support the box on a jack, remove the cross member, and then lower the box a little and push it to one side. It remains attached ot the engine, and there is sufficient play in the front mounts to allow the required movement. You may need to disconnect the engine steady bar. It's easier with the box out, but not essential, and a lot less work to leave it in!
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

simmitc wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:29 am Thankfully not necessary to copletely remove the box. With the linkage disconnected, it is usually possible to wiggle the clutch pedal out. Worst case, support the box on a jack, remove the cross member, and then lower the box a little and push it to one side. It remains attached ot the engine, and there is sufficient play in the front mounts to allow the required movement. You may need to disconnect the engine steady bar. It's easier with the box out, but not essential, and a lot less work to leave it in!
May be a bit different for me as I have a Toyota Celica gearbox.
Brian