Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

A series engine front seal leaks

Post by niftyrodman »

Two things. Is there an add on seal housing and front seal available for my engine. Secondly, does anybody sell a "speedy sleeve" a name used down here for a sleeve that is fitted to the front pulley housing to improve the surface where the seal runs. I notice N.T.G have an add on seal to suit the MG range, and it looks like it works. I fitted the rear crank seal kit, and there is still a slight leak, and by lowering the oil pressure with an adjustable kit to a max 60 PSI cold should help. I sealed the adjuster bolt with a fibre washer and a self locking nut as a seal.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: A series engine front seal leaks

Post by philthehill »

The effectiveness of the front engine/timing chain cover oil seal is not influenced by any oil pressure. Any oil in the timing chain cover is there as overspill from the camshaft and crankshaft bearings. Reducing the oil pressure has no effect on the ability of the seal to do its job.

There is not to my knowledge any add on oil seal for the timing chain cover. The OE neoprene lip seal is very effective in doing its job.

NTG do not appear to have a speedy sleeve seal to suit the 'A' Series engined MGs

https://www.mgbits.com/index.html

Moss list a Speedy sleeve to suit the MG Midget which will suit the 'A' Series

https://mossmotors.com/speedi-sleeve-ti ... r-oil-seal

To be honest at the price of the Speedy sleeve I would be looking for a good S/H crankshaft damped pulley.

niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Thanks Phil for the link. I disagree with you on the rear main, my post was mainly concerned with the rear seal, and I do think 80 psi would have an effect on that leak, as I now run 60psi cold. The interesting thing is that the warm or hot engine pressure still stays a shade under 40 psi
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

My T/cover has a felt seal.Is there a cover, or is there a method that I can fit a neoprene seal,Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

We will have to disagree then because my 1380cc with very good oil pressure and without a lip seal conversion does not leak or allow oil past the scroll into the bell housing.

As regards the felt seal - it is next to useless and should be replaced with the later cover and lip seal.

The cover is different to accommodate the neoprene lip seal. You cannot fit a neoprene lip seal to a felt type timing cover.

Some covers have the seal fitted from the inside whilst others have the seal fitted from the outside.

Both use the same seal and both do the same job.

When fitting the later cover with lip seal the flat oil thrower plate. needs to be fitted. The plate is stamped 'F' which indicated front.

This is the type of cover you need but you do not need the front plate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini ... Swz35dBh-E

Note the flattened oil separator canister - needed to clear the Minor fan blades if not using spacers between fan and water pump.

niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

why the canister? May I ask
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

my post was mainly concerned with the rear seal
That's fine, but why, then, head the topic "engine front seal leaks"? Anyway, foir what it's worth, I agree 100% with Phil. Fit a timing cover with neoprene seal, and fit a new crankshaft pulley - solid ones are available from David Manners (Morris Minor Centre Birmingham) and those are far superior to the riveted ones. Oil pressure will not make any difference to either the front or rear seals, but crankcase pressure will have an effect - make sure that the breathing system is working correctly, there are many posts on this subject.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Some of the 'A' Series engines have the breather and oil separator canister on the timing chain cover. The 1275cc engines especially as they do not have the valve chest covers as per the 803cc, 948cc and 1098cc engines - but they still require a crankcase breathing solution.
You cannot have too many crankcase breathers. I have breathers on the rocker cover, the timing chain cover and the unused fuel pump aperture.

The only difference is that the breathers discharge into a catch tank with sight glass.

Refence the damper:-

Below is the link to the solid crankshaft pulley.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... pe-p830145

The reason I suggested a used damper pulley is that the damper pulley does make the engine smoother as it absorbs and helps remove any crankshaft vibrations leading to longer engine life.

niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Thanks again Phil, the damper I will get, and the replacement cover, and maybe a second hand side plate with the breather and fit it to the rear perhaps.