Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DRMM
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Oil filter light suddenly came on

Post by DRMM »

... I have had another thought:

When I bought the filter element I asked for a paper one - only differentiating between that and the spin-on cartridge. But it seems there is a felt type element also. Are they both interchangeable or have I maybe incorrectly bought the wrong type, ie. that I needed the felt kind? (there seems to be two types of filter assembly as I see from the diagram; is it such that one is designed for the paper element and the other for the felt?)

...Later - Edit
I now realise I'm getting confused - it seems the two types of filter assemblies (Purolator and Tecalemit) can be fitter with either paper or felt.
But I'm unsure if I have the Purolator or Tecalemit.

... The element I was given was Fram CH816PL. Could it be wrong one?

... How does the felt type work with a spring loaded pressure plate?
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/oil-filte ... 8g684.html
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The paper and felt filters can be interchanged.

Basically it is only the name on the filter head that differentiates the two.

The felt filter is strong enough to cope with the internal spring which keeps the filter up against the filter head plate.

DRMM
Minor Friendly

Post by DRMM »

Thanks Phil.
DRMM
Minor Friendly

Post by DRMM »

paul 300358 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:23 am ... You may be worrying unnecessarily, I would remove the rocker cover, start the car and see if you get oil to the rockers. If you do, replace the cover and run it a bit then change the oil again.
Ok so I did run it with rocker cover removed and there does seem to be oil getting up there - not splashing around but it can be seen a weeping around the rocker shaft from rockers, and laying in the cup ends of the push rods:

(tried to upload a video clip but gives error: "invalid file extension". I'll try to upload to youtube in a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmjnSKZ ... e=youtu.be

Is there enough oil up there, guys?
Attachments
20190715_161110.jpg
20190715_161110.jpg (4.82 MiB) Viewed 916 times
20190715_160900.jpg
20190715_160900.jpg (4.23 MiB) Viewed 916 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The top end of your engine looks to be dry and/or lacking oil.

The oil should be being thrown off the end of the rockers.

Just weeping is not good enough.

I would suggest that you drain the engine, replace the oil filter and fill the engine with flushing oil and then run the engine and after a few miles drain the sump and change the oil filter again.

You can run the 'A' Series on diesel engine oil as it is high in detergent additives which will clean the inside of the engine. The only down side is that you have to change the oil filer on a more regular basis as the solids are carried more readily to the filter.

Filters are cheaper than an engine re-build.

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Just ticking over you should have oil drops being thrown all over the engine bay, do what Phil has said, filters and oil are cheap. I think that I changed mine about 5 times before I was happy with it.
DRMM
Minor Friendly

Post by DRMM »

Sounds good advice - something I should've done straight after buying the car :-?

... Looking back at the course of events:
I drove the car back about a 100mls or so from where I bought it, with no warning lights on or any indication of a problem. After it sitting in the drive for a couple of months I topped up a significant amount with a good branded classic mineral 20/50 and drove it... Just about 5 or 6mls on was when the oil filter warning light suddenly came on.
I'm wondering if there occurred a reaction with whatever had been put in before I bought it? I've heard that there can be reaction to some synthetic oils.

Anyhow I will now surely do the flushing as advised. And I still am going to fit an oil pressure gauge - so far ordered adapter and pipe to fit a mechanical type gauge.

Thanks again guys.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I would use the cheapest 20/50 mineral oil available and change it and filter after 100 miles, then 200 etc until the oil looks clean. But keep an eye on the top end. You may want to consider a spin on filter conversion in the future.
DRMM
Minor Friendly

Post by DRMM »

... Finally connected up an oil gauge:
Readings:
Cold engine: Idle ~ 60psi ; reving ~ 75psi
Warm : Idle ~ 40psi ; reving ~ 70psi
(warmed up stationary, I didn't take out for a run).

See video of it when warm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzNX3FO ... e=youtu.be

These figures are normal, no?
The oil filter warning light still staying on.
I did recheck the rockers, but only through the filler cap - there does seem to be the odd spitting of oil now, since doing the flushing and oil/filter changes.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The oil pressure figures are good. :D
If the blocked oil pressure light is still illuminated - disconnect the electrical connection at the filter head, insulate the end of the wire and forget about the switch and light.
You cannot repair the blocked filler switch only replace the filter head housing.
The blocked filter switch was deleted on later Minors so not having the switch is not the end of the world.
Just keep an eye on the oil feed to the rockers though.
The engine I would say has benefitted from the oil and filter changes so in my opinion you have not wasted your money. :D

Use the Minor and enjoy. 8) 8)

DRMM
Minor Friendly

Post by DRMM »

Great! that's a relief :D Yippee

Thanks for all, Phil and all.