MM series rear axle

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ged Segrave
MMOC Member: No

MM series rear axle

Post by Ged Segrave »

Does any member have for loan or purchase the Special setting fixtures - part # 18G 264 and 18G 280. They are illustrated in the Morris Workshop Manual section H 15.
Any advice on setting up the crown wheel and pinion without the above tools would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Ged Segrave
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: MM series rear axle

Post by Declan_Burns »

Ged,
The axle you are referring to is the split case semi floating type axle. The same axle type as fitted to my MG TD. You can make your own tooling like I did but it does take a lot of work. You can see from the photos below what is involved. There is a booklet (which is somewhat confusing) by Carl Cederstrand on how to do CWP interchanges on these axles. I have an electronic copy :D . Moss sells the booklet. The booklet also shows tooling and describes four methods of setting up such differentials.
Here is a link to the differential bible:
http://billavista.com/tech/Articles/Gea ... index.html
The one thing I would recommend is making a set-up bearing for the pinion head as the pinion bearing has to be removed and replaced several times when setting the pinion head depth. There is no need for carrier set up bearings on the early axle unlike the later axles (which I also made).
If you need any further assistance send me a PM. I have drawings of the tooling that I made.

Regards
Declan
Attachments
Tooth_pattern_2.jpg
Tooth_pattern_2.jpg (754.26 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Bearing tool_3.jpg
Bearing tool_3.jpg (743.13 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Measuring backlash_2.jpg
Measuring backlash_2.jpg (486.44 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Measuring_pinion_depth_1.jpg
Measuring_pinion_depth_1.jpg (951.82 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Regards