Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Machining outside valve stem posts for seals

Post by niftyrodman »

Has anyone had a head machined, at the valve guide posts to interfering thickness enabling the fitment of the later type seals to the inlet valves.? Looks feasible.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Machining outside valve stem posts for seals

Post by philthehill »

The valve guides can be machined to install a groove for the later seals.

The valve guides are either chilled cast iron or bronze manganese both of which are easy to machine.

If you are running unleaded fuel only the inlets should be fitted with the seals. The exhaust valves/guides need the oil for lubrication.

As you will only need qty 4 guides I would suggest that it would be cheaper to buy new.

ESM do small block engine guides modified to accept the later seals.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... l-p1209547

The seals are also available from ESM.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... pe-p830169

niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Machining outside valve stem posts for seals

Post by niftyrodman »

I need an automatic little paste, with a sentence that I can stick on my replies, saying Thanks Phil you are a legend. Ive ordered 8 of each, as I have a spare head, and yes, it was interesting the piece I read about the need to keep the exhaust valves seal free from seals, providing an efficacious benefit, of which I cannot remember. And as an aside. Aren't the 948s a sweet little engine. The man in The U.S from whence the stiffener for the timing cover came had one that revved out to 8000, and was fitted with a strengthener to the centre main bearing, amongst other things. Thanks.