Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Doris cuts out

Post by oliver90owner »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 pm Great! And just to correct my above post - I can't seem to be able to edit it - my original tank was actually only 5 gallons, not 5.5 gallons :roll: .......even smaller! :wink:
Probably sized because it could be filled, and paid for with a ten bob note - with change!
Doris1970
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Doris1970 »

Hi all just a quick update on Doris , as I reported last she ran fine then total cut out again ,after much deliberation and patients my uncle discovered the fuel pump was at fault it would work then stop quite randomly , I decided rather than re-furb best to buy a new one which I did and fitted and Doris fired up in immediately gave her a test run all fine popped her back in garage for the night . next morning she was non starter again , the fuel system all fine so checked for spark and no spark , he went through everything again and the problem turned out to be the wire from ignition coil to distributor had a break in it so replaced it and tested for a spark as he watched for spark I turned the key and guess what , she fired up instantly on three cylinders AMAZING good old Doris . I had ordered a complete distributor unit as the advanced vacuum unit was not working rather than buy just the vacuum unit I bought the full unit for a bargain price of £49 plus vat from Bull Motif. all fitted now and running like a dream . LONG MAY SHE RUN . just wanted to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions they have been very helpful and much appreciated ,
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, after all this you've either had multiple problems with your car or it was a dodgy wire all along. But - "she fired up instantly on three cylinders" doesn't sound right..... :-?
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:31 pm Well, after all this you've either had multiple problems with your car or it was a dodgy wire all along. But - "she fired up instantly on three cylinders" doesn't sound right..... :-?
It does with a plug lead off :wink:
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Oh yeah! Hmmm... Missed that little detail :oops: :-?
Anyway, lets hope Doris is trouble-free for a long time to come now 8)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:31 pm Well, after all this you've either had multiple problems with your car or it was a dodgy wire all along. But - "she fired up instantly on three cylinders" doesn't sound right..... :-?
MoJ,

:D :D to your first comment. I have found that pigtail wires are always a possible source of intermittent failure. Easier to find if it can be found immediately, on the engine stopping, without any further ado
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Quite so.......and as for the second careless comment, I should really have been posting in the 'Currently Drinking' topic, rather than attempting anything technical - after quaffing a few Proper Job ales last night! :oops:
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I went to visit Doris yesterday and I can confirm she was running very rich indeed, the timing was out by quite a margin as well.

I did notice the distributor was 180 degrees out, but the leads were in the correct order so rather than take the dizzy out again I left it where it was as it wont cause any issues. (No 1 Plug lead at 7 O'clock rather than at 2 O'clock).

The static timing was set and then I marked the crank pulley and swung the distributor to set the timing with the strobe light.
By this time the over fuelling was making running difficult.

I then turned to the carb, the jet was clean with no marks or other issues, so a few minutes leaning the mixture off had Doris running much better.

She was ticking over but hunting a bit so a bit of fettling had the fuelling just about right.

A quick road test confirmed she was running better, so I think Doris's owner was happy with the outcome.

I would advise you to examine the plugs after a while just to check they are a nice brown colour which would indicate all is running well.

Any issues give me a bell.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well done! Long live Doris! :D
Doris1970
Minor Friendly

Post by Doris1970 »

Doris is up and running as she should be thanks to the visit of a fellow Minor lover who has much more knowledge than myself. Great job !!! and even though I didn’t take Doris for a long run out she performed very well around the block. Can’t wait to give her a good run out.thanks again Murrayminor. So much appreciated!!!