Improving drum brake performance on a 71 traveller

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PeteS
MMOC Member: Yes

Improving drum brake performance on a 71 traveller

Post by PeteS »

Hi, i have gone through posts that suggest mintex shoes are the way to go for drum brakes. The website only has rear shoes and they seem to be 7 inch ones for sale. Can anyone point me to a site where i can get good front and rear shoes for 8 inch drums? Also, apparently soft coating or kevlar shoes demonstrate better performance but i cant seem to find these for the Minor. ANY thoughts reslly gratefully received. Pete
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Improving drum brake performance on a 71 traveller

Post by philthehill »

A point to consider is that the rear brakes on a Minor are 7" dia for the 803cc, 948cc and 1098cc. They are not 8" dia.

Only the 1500cc version of the Minor i.e. Wolseley 1500 had the 8" dia rear brakes.

The front brakes of a 803cc/948cc Minor are 7" dia. The front brakes of a 1098cc Minor are 8".

Genuine Mintex brake shoes are perfectly useable for a Minor 1000 but take care in choosing the genuine item.

PeteS

Post by PeteS »

Thank you so much for the response, Phil. That all makes sense as I was surprised that Mintex would only have 7" rears for sale if the 8" shoes were fitted to later versions. Mintex don't seem to have the front 8" shoes for sale, only the 7" rears. I may go for re-lining unless people think that is a bad idea? Pete
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Again choose your relining material and who does the job carefully.

Relining brake shoes is a safety critical task and must be done by someone who is experienced in the task and has the necessary equipment.

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

I have 8 inch drums on the front and both front and rear shoes were lined by myself by riveting the linings onto the shoes.
I believe it was once quite common to buy linings to be applied in this manner - a pile of linings and a packet of copper rivet's!
Not looked but I don't suppose there available now?

Alan
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

That brought memories , I used to rivet new linings onto the shoes when I had my Austin Ruby many years ago.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Heres a link to the 8' Mintex shoe on East Sussex. Definitely gives a great improvemnet over the standard shoe with very hard linings.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/brake ... ex-p829465

Too many Minors so little time.....
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It was a frequent task undertaken by me to rivet new brake linings to brake shoes when working in the BMC garage and well before moulded shoes became commonly available.
Many of the linings had to be cut and drilled to suit the shoe. Mostly the brake material was supplied in roll of suitable width and depth and the length was cut to suit..
No worries about asbestos back then.
The rivets are special and I have some copper ones in a drawer. They were copper because if the rivet head hit the drum the theory was that as the copper is softer than the cast iron the copper rivets would not wear the drum but it did not always work like that.
Looks like they are still available but the size must be checked for suitability.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLAT-HEAD-Co ... Sw3s1aAdmv

Some brake shoes for riveting are available on 'e' bay.

PeteS

Post by PeteS »

Wow. Doing my own lining? First drive would probably see me mowing people down on a zebra crossing. I am not talented or brave enough. Will get them done professionally I think! Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Pete
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Edward1949 »

http://brakereline.co.uk/

I was thinking (and still am) of fitting softer front linings. I had a quote last year from this company to reline my shoes with a soft woven material which guarantees stronger braking - presumably with the penalty of faster wear. The cost was £9.50 per shoe plus VAT plus postage - they don't do exchange, you have to send your old shoes for relining.
PeteS

Post by PeteS »

Thanks Edward. Will look into this link. Pete
PeteS

Post by PeteS »

Thanks Edward. Will look into this link. Pete