Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Uneven tyre wear - wheel bearings?

Post by Nickol »

I noticed to today after parking my 69 Traveller that the inside of the RH Front tyre was worn down quite a lot. The LH one was perhaps slightly worn on the inside, difficult to tell but certainly nowhere near like that on the right.

I jacked the front up when I got home and checked to see if there was any free movement. Sure enough the RH wheel could be rocked left to right und top to bottom. Having read through several threads here in the Forum, it seems that incorrect toe-in is the main source - but if this was the case I would imagine that both tyres would be similarly worn?

I did not see or feel any movement in the king Pins etc, so I suspect the wheel bearings. Is this a valid judgement? And would worn bearings give me the wear pattern that I have on one side?

I should add that no strange noises or wheel wobble or anything else unusual is felt whilst driving
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Uneven tyre wear - wheel bearings?

Post by newagetraveller »

If the bearing is loose you may be able to correct it by tightening up the nut that holds it it place.
If the bearing is worn you should be able to detect it by spinning the wheel round.
While the car is jacked up have a look at the tie rods which should both have the same length of thread exposed.
It also sounds like the tracking needs looking at.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Yes ! I have just managed to tighten up the RHS to the next available Slot for the split pin and this indeed cured the free Play! Many thanks for the tip.

On the LHS, I had an initial shock, thinking I had broken something as the nut came loose when I tried to tighten it. This has a left Hand thread, so Panic quickly over. I will check the toe-in myself in the next couple of days just to make sure and perhaps swop the tyres around.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

more likely to be the track rod ends need close examination ,simple to check hold the tre in your hand and get someone to wobble the steering wheel,you should not be able to feel any movement AT all . good luck