Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Prices for Engine Work

Post by pgp001 »

Hello

I have just dropped off some of my spare 1098 engine parts with a local engine reconditioning company, the chap comes highly recommended by a few people I know that have used him, the plan is that he is going to have a good look at what I have left him with and then do me a quote.

It would be handy if I had a rough idea what to expect so I know whether he is quoting fair prices.

The work will consist of :-
Boring a block from standard to +0.040"
Decking the block
Skimming the clutch face of a flywheel
Supplying and fitting a new starter ring gear
Supplying and fitting a set of new camshaft bushes, (he assures me those will not need line boring)
Supplying and fitting four unleaded exhaust seats
Regrinding all crankshaft journals

I have spoken with him today and had a look at his facilities, he seems to know what he is doing and spends most of his time working on Jaguar and Lotus engines. I know prices will vary widely but I have no idea what to expect in West Yorkshire.

One thing he is not equiped for is dynamic balancing, only static......Should I even be thinking about dynamic balancing a road engine ?

Thanks
Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Prices for Engine Work

Post by philthehill »

Here is a guide for engineering works.

http://www.oselli.com/service/engineering

These prices will be at the top end of any quotation but can be used as a guide.

If the engine is put together properly and I am sure it will be there will be no requirement to balance the engine either statically or dynamically.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Prices for Engine Work

Post by pgp001 »

Cheers Phil

That's a good starter for ten.

Phil