engine blocks

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jim.quackenbush
MMOC Member: No

engine blocks

Post by jim.quackenbush »

hi all---I may need some help here as I have no access to or know where to find the info I need---or the patience to find out---basically I have bought an MG midget standard A series 1275 "thick flange" block/Healey Sprite 1300 BMC---
So questions are:-
What front and back plates are suitable and any part numbers (as it looks like there are a few different types)
Also crankshafts applicable and in particular the camshafts that can be used
As I intend to have the unit re-bored are any suggestions on the piston and ring sizes ie +020/030/060
Also I have a re conned 12G940 head with the exhaust valve seats machined 080 deeper and a rocker assembly from an MG Metro
As I intend to use an HIF44 carb with heated manifold---(can anyone tell me why the inlet manifold needs to be heated)
So can a Ford T9 box be fitted---(already purchased a reconned item from 1st motion trans.)
Lastly---what does "thick flange" mean

My car is a 1967 2 dr in black---it is a basket case---rear end damage from a shunt and severe rust from wheel arches down---about 40 or so photos so far
Work done;-
renew and realign rear chassis members---new inner wings---new outer wings---new front and rear floors---new inner step sills/boxing plates and extensions/new inner rear sills---new inner front sills---new flitch panels---new door hinge panels---recovered doors---new boot lid---so still a lot to do
Any help with the above items i'd be very greatful
Jim

9can