Running issues. Advice appreciated

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
steveo1963
MMOC Member: No

Running issues. Advice appreciated

Post by steveo1963 »

Hi all, hope you don't mind me joining this forum to just ask this question but I'm getting myself into a bit of a mess try to work it out.

I went for a fairly long drive - 50 miles or so and my moggie was running great. The engine was refurbished and has never given me any problems.

The time after it developed a misfire and sluggish running. I discovered the vacuum advance pipe had come loose and melted itself closed on the engine. Refitted and the misfire disappeared.

Thinking the problem was over I took it out and it was running better but still sluggish. Checking over everything again I found the dashpot was empty of oil, so topped that up and took it for a drive. Again, it ran fine at first but then it all went downhill, very sluggish, no acceleration and when I stopped smoke was coming from the oil filler, not very much but just enough to be noticeable. No smoke from the dipstick or anywhere else.

To be honest, I can't remember what the colour was but i think it had a blue tint and I'm not sure if this is something new as I haven't looked under the bonnet during a drive for a while.

Does this sound like a worn carb to you?

Admittedly I haven't taken a look inside the carb yet but just wanted your advice

The carbs an SU carb, I believe HS4

Thanks for you help in advance
beero
Minor Legend

Re: Running issues. Advice appreciated

Post by beero »

Carb wear is not sudden or intermittent. Go back to basics and check plugs and points. For the misfire check under the bonnet when it is dark to see if there are any stray sparks. A compression test will show if you have a blown head gasket , worn rings or burnt valves.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Running issues. Advice appreciated

Post by oliver90owner »

Are you sure it is not over-heating?