Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lindopski
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Spark Plug/HT leads Question

Post by lindopski »

Hello Gang

The moggy is starting at the moment bless her but she has a variety of HT leads attached (various tip lengths).
I would like to start getting the old girl in a happier place so I am going to order a new set of leads and a new set of plugs for her and wondered if you have any recommendations.

Another thing I was wondering is if I should put some copper slip on the threads, I know on moderns you dont need to but with the Mog being an older girl I wondered if that was advisable.

What are your thoughts on these electronic ignition kits too? any use or daft idea?

Thanks as always
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Spark Plug/HT leads Question

Post by mogbob »

Conventional or Electronic Ignition dilemma … an old favourite. A search on the Forum will give you the pros and cons.
Buy quality HT leads and spark plugs ...again lots of opinions on the Forum.
I assume you have a decent distributor cap , Red Rotor arm and points in your existing distributor. Replace now if not. Leave , if still giving good service. N/A if going Electronic.
Copper slip on the plugs ? Yes , I wipe a small amount on the threaded portion when installing. Just to cover not smother ! Less chance of the plug proving difficult to remove.
Bob
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I've never put anything on my plugs, not since I started car driving and maintaining in the mid 70s.
I always fit plugs until they touch bottom and then tweak to a calibrated wrist :D

There is a good little article here about torque settings from NGK https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/art ... e-settings
It includes mention at the bottom of torquing plugs where you've used anti-seize compound.

Basil has electronic ignition (fitted before I got him) and the only 2 times he's died on me was eventually traced to the coil having an intermittent joint inside it.
So that would've happened whether he had Points or not, but certainly far easier not having the adjust points regularly.
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Sorry, I won't be able to add any technical pros or cons for you to consider. Just to say that I too deliberated long and hard over whether to have electronic ignition and if so, which one.

After taking much advice - mainly from my local MMOC members group - I decided on the full Accuspark electronic ignition kit (distributor, coil, plugs, leads etc). One of our members reckons he has fitted dozens of these kits (now including mine) all of which have performed without fault.

I must say I have been well chuffed with this system, admittedly only installed a few months ago, but ''pick-up' is now silky smooth. You'll have gathered, I'm very happy to recommend Accuspark electronic ignition.
lindopski
Minor Friendly

Post by lindopski »

I am deliberating a bit as once the Morris is in better fettle it will likely be used a couple of times a week to go to work and weekends out as well (Shared time with my other classic that doesn't go out an awful lot).

I want to get it out and used to being used again as it has been sat since 2015 at least by the look of it.

I have heard of these red rotor arms before, I think the one in this is from the 70s but works.

It will be a while till the old girl is roadworthy so plenty of time to research and play yet.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Owlsman wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 pm One of our members reckons he has fitted dozens of these kits (now including mine) all of which have performed without fault.
My coil problems mentioned above were not long after we got Basil. First time we got towed home by RAC as Engineer said it was the electronic points. But on arrival home, Basil started without any problem and I just could not reproduce the completely dead ignition. The next reasonable trip we attempted was the Anniversary rally to Nuffield Place last year. At 6.30 am Sunday morning, around 30 miles from home, Basil breaks down again and a different RAC engineer says its the electronic points....
This time when we got home the system was still dead. I quickly traced it to an open circuit Coil. Months later, I opened up the old coil and found a broken joint. I posted the photos of it here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=69837&hilit=coil&start=20#p636467
It was an Accuspark Coil.
Basil the 1955 series II