Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: starting

Post by kevin s »

After struggling to start it again I fitted the new length of fuel line without the filter a couple of days ago. This morning it started straight away, also didn't do the 4 or 5 knocks on the fuel pump when keying on it usually does. So hopefully it's now OK. There was a fair bit of debris in the filter though so I may try fitting the filter king once I am happy it is starting OK.

Took it for a drive and it runs really well
New problem now though, steam coming out of the heater when you first turn it on I guess it has a small leak, new matrix on the way as it was only £22.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Leave it as it was designed. Why add unnecessary complications where/when they are not needed? KISS principle in operation.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I am a bit split on this, on one hand as the old saying says " if it ain't broke do't fix it" on the other there is obviously some debris in the tank which could cause further problems my background with dellortos and webers tends to make me paranoid about this but I do know SU's are more tollerant of dirt.

Given how easy it is to give the filter king a go I may just try it to see if there is any effect, I've had one on my lotus for 30 years with no problems so I am pretty confident in their reliability.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The other good thing about the Malpassi Filter King fuel filter is that it also has a means of adjusting the fuel line pressure.
I have one on my Minor but it has the alloy filter bowl. I would not be without it.

I previous had the Malpassi Filter King fuel filter with the glass bowl but for some reason the glass cracked and spilt fuel. To alleviate any future glass failure problems I fitted the type with the alloy filter bowl.

This post has jogged my memory as I still have the old glass bowl version so have today ordered a alloy bowl and seal to suit so it can go back into service. :D

Donald Ross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Donald Ross »

My 1098cc Morris Minor which I only start every 2 weeks or so seems to prefer starting as soon as the ignition is switched on rather than waiting for the fuel pump to stop clicking. I don't use any throttle though only full choke.

It also seems to have strange issue that if I disconnect the battery and reconnect it it does not like to start at all. Once I get it going its fine thereafter as long as I don't disconnect the battery or charge it or do anything to it at all.
Its always been like that don't know why and don't know if anyone else ever gets this but does not worry me.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Donald
How old is your battery? Are the posts and the clamps anything other than clean , i.e nice clean metal for a good electrical connection.
Ditto ….if you have a quick release set up on the battery ?
Can we pin you down a bit to help with the diagnosis please. When you turn the key to start up , is it all "dead "
no noise. No solenoid clunk , no attempt to spin over the starter motor at all or just a sluggish groan , trying to get things rotating. It could be any number of things in the starter circuit and an accurate summary of the symptoms will help us point you in the right direction.
Not sure of your automotive electrical skills / ownership of a Multi meter but if you are a novice ( the place where we all started !! ) then don't go " poking around " with a screwdriver or metal implement ! You could do a lot of damage to the car and yourself... the extra thick wires on the starting system indicate extra care is needed with
the high current that flows through them. Dis-connecting the battery before examining is a good start.
The Forum always likes a challenge. We'll try and crack it for you.
Bob
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Much as mogbob, but...

Are you saying that if you have the car running at normal operating conditions and turn off at the ignition and then momentarily disconnect the battery earth lead, it will not restart? If so, the problem ought to be within that small area of the battery earth terminal or the earth strap.

*Naughty*, but does it do the same by momentarily disconnecting the live side terminal instead of the earth (*take great care not to touch any spanner to the bodywork and battery terminal/ connector if you do this!*)?

That would/should confirm or remove the battery connection as the culprit.

How long before it will restart? Does the starter motor operate more slowly? All symptoms the car exhibits are important. You may possibly have a battery which could fail catastrophically at the end of its life, so this problem really needs sorting.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

To close out the original post, since I have fitted the filter king it has started perfectly every time, and it even seems to run smoother at idle as well.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Great to hear that your car is now behaving, but I'm surprised at how you've reached the solution. I suspect that the Filter King is either masking a problem with the previous aftermarket filter you had fitted, or (if it has a pressure regulator fitted) it's masking the symptoms of a problem with the float chamber needle valve, which shouldn't leak with the pressure provided by the standard fuel pump. SUs don't require the level of filtration required by other carbs, nor indeed are they as sensitive to fuel pressure as some other carbs. I've got a Filter King fitted to my T2 VW with its aftermarket Weber ICT carbs, which are intolerant of fuel pressure over above 1.5 psi (IIRC) and indeed prone to suffering with blockages caused by small amounts of crud in the fuel which would not affect an SU. Still - if it's now working, then that's good. As Phil said, the Filter King is a good product and has certainly worked well on my VW. Enjoy driving the Minor now it's obliging!
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I am pretty sure it is to do with the aftermarket pump (the needle and float are new) but given I had the filter king and I have had one working well on my elan for 25+ years it seemed a simple (and cheap) option which also in the event of breakdown allows me to use any low pressure fuel pump to hand in the future.

it seems to be something SU recognised as a weakness, the HIF ones on my TR7V8 run fine with a 3psi delivery pressure.