Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ColinChandler
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Grumpy/Marina disc brakes

Post by ColinChandler »

Hello all,
As usual, can I pick people's brains please.
I have one of the early Grumpy Marina front disc brake set ups. That's the one with the bearing sleeve on the stub axle that allows what I presume are the standard Marina roller bearings to be fitted.
I intend to change the uprights/trunnions etc shortly and thought it prudent to get a couple of spare sleeves in case I can't get the existing ones off the stub axles.
Looking on-line, it seems that time has moved on and that the sleeves are no longer made as a new bearing and seal kit is available which doesn't need them. New bearings are fair enough although the old ones are fine but my question is if I will also need new hubs to suit the new bearings or will the old hubs still be the correct size?
Any advice from someone who's trod this path would be much appreciated.
Best wishes, Colin.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Grumpy/Marina disc brakes

Post by philthehill »

Colin
The top hat spacer/sleeves are being advertised as available from Bullmotif.

https://www.bullmotifspares.co.uk/produ ... 8a/MOD118A

If you fixed the spacer/sleeve with Loctite you can usually heat up the spacer/sleeve and remove it. I had to do that when changing the uprights from car to van with the bigger steering arm.

The outer bearing is SKF bearing - part number 30203 J2 which is not Marina. The Minor stub axle is of a different smaller O.D. to the Marina.

The inner bearing is Timken - part number L44649 99401 L44610 1194. Same as the Mini rear hub bearing.

I have been down this road several times including changing the stub axles to Marina so as to use standard Marina inner and outer taper wheel bearings.

Make sure that there is space between the inner face of the spacer/sleeve and the upright as the inner face of the spacer/sleeve needs to bottom out against the stub axle original seal seat and not the upright.

Below is the spacer modified to fit a Marina stub axle.
100_1434.JPG
100_1434.JPG (362.32 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Attachments
100_1435.JPG
100_1435.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 719 times

ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Re: Grumpy/Marina disc brakes

Post by ColinChandler »

Thanks again Phil. As always, your advice is spot on.
I'd missed the adaptors on the BM site but I've just ordered a couple ready in advance. When I take the old uprights off, I'll give it a go to salvage the old ones. From memory, I did loctite them on so warmth will be needed. The current set up has run for a good few years now so has done well. Things might well have changed again by the time I come to rebuild it the next time.
Thanks once again. Best wishes. Colin.