Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Setting ride height - any tips?

Post by CaliTrav »

Hi All,

After welding completed today I'm about to embark on reassembling the torsion bar assembly and the car will be back on the road.

Unfortunately taking the torsion bar off has meant that the original (actually pretty accurate) spline setting has been lost. All is not lost however as the other side was unaffected, so I can use that for taking measurements or reference points.

Is there a way to approximate the location of the arm while it's still up on axle stands (not completely level but not far off) or will I need to completely reassemble and lower the car onto the wheels to judge the adjustment necessary?

Any hints or tips appreciated that will save me time and frustration!

T
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Setting ride height - any tips?

Post by philthehill »

All you need to do is compare the height of the inner and outer pivot points of the thick arm from the ground.

The base setting can be done on axle stands with the swivel disconnected.

Once back on the ground and the suspension settled you can use the vernier plate at the rear of the torsion bar/reaction arm for any fine adjustment.

Measurement 'C' in the diagram below is the base setting measurement you require.
img122.jpg
img122.jpg (301.04 KiB) Viewed 1032 times

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

This advice is coming a bit late in your case but if removing a torsion bar it is possible to move the arms at both ends inwards a little and remove the bar and arms without losing their positions on the splines. Or you can put on a dab of paint to mark the positions for reassembly.
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

That's great, thanks guys.

Unfortunately I wasn't the one who removed the bar otherwise I would have put paint on as suggested. But the measurement guide is really helpful - will be interesting to compare that 'perfect' measurement of 14.3cm against what the drivers side currently is.

T