Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Loose engine mount tower

Post by James k »

Hi,
I opened the bonnet just now to check if the fan-belt was still tight after fitting an alternator and made a shocking discovery. The nearside engine mounting tower is currently only fixed in properly by one screw! One is missing entirely and the other two are loose and at an angle. Obviously I'm not going to drive the car until I've fixed it but I wondered why it might have happened? Do these need regular inspection for tightness or could there be something else at play? It's a good thing I spotted it today or I imagine it could have been disastrous.

Thanks,
James
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Loose engine mount tower

Post by simmitc »

They should be bolted in with locking washers to stop them coming undone. If you put the bolts in from the top then even if the nuts do come off, the bolt can't fall out. The usual problem is the exact opposite of what you've got - the things won't undo due to rust and underseal. Well spotted anywya.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Loose engine mount tower

Post by ManyMinors »

I've never known them come loose. My guess would be that whoever had it apart last never tightened them and it has remained that way ever since. As said already, they are just a nut and bolt (5/16BSF I think originally) and a locking (spring) washer. Generally the bolt is fitted from below. If one is tight, simply check and tighten the loose ones and obtain a 4th for the missing one. All should be well again :)
I'd probably check the other side too but it is common practice to just remove one side when removing the engine.