Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
h20_mako
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Overheating or fuel issue?

Post by h20_mako »

I was driving my tourer and today's an especially hot and sunny day in Singapore.

Initially the car feels powerful and later on it feels slightly underpowered, maybe due to the engine getting hotter?

The car stall when I make a hard left turn. It sputters and by giving it more throttle prevents it from stalling.

After that when idling stationary when giving it a throttle, it sputters too.

This issue have been happening for quite some time and not solved.

It seems like an overheat issue. How can I solve this. I like to drive her more often and together with my family to enjoy.

Maybe adding an oil cooler?
Water pump not working well?
Thermostat faulty?
Jason
[sig]9869[/sig]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Overheating or fuel issue?

Post by kennatt »

fuel vaporizing in pipe from pump to carb not helped by being close to exhaust,re route pipe away from above exhaust pipe for use in hot climates
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

To assist in reducing/eliminating fuel vapour lock fit a Grumpy's heat deflector kit.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel- ... ly-p830677

dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

second grumpy's kit - I used to get "the vapours" quite often when coming off an a-road into a traffic jam. Fitted the kit and now stutter free!
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Singapore? Have you checked your air cleaner lately? Perhaps it is clogged with atmospheric pollution. :D

They were worried about it at the Singapore GP - but not of blocking their car air filters. :D

I would start with the above suggestions of a fuel vapourisation problem. So first question is whether it is OK on chilly nights(if there are any).
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Just to tule out other problems, use a compression tester to check that all cylinders are OK, and there's no sign of a head gasket starting to fail.

Another possibility could be the consdenser. Swap with a new high quality unit and see if it cures the problem.
h20_mako
Minor Fan

Post by h20_mako »

oliver90owner wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:13 am Singapore? Have you checked your air cleaner lately? Perhaps it is clogged with atmospheric pollution. :D

They were worried about it at the Singapore GP - but not of blocking their car air filters. :D

I would start with the above suggestions of a fuel vapourisation problem. So first question is whether it is OK on chilly nights(if there are any).
Haha maybe I will need to put an N95 mask instead of air filter

Yes during the night occurrences are less frequent. Sometimes at night can be warm around 29degC.
Jason
[sig]9869[/sig]
h20_mako
Minor Fan

Post by h20_mako »

simmitc wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 pm Just to tule out other problems, use a compression tester to check that all cylinders are OK, and there's no sign of a head gasket starting to fail.

Another possibility could be the consdenser. Swap with a new high quality unit and see if it cures the problem.
Will do just that. Check the compression and change a new condenser. Thanks
Jason
[sig]9869[/sig]
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

Coil breaking down when it gets hot?