Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
VAN_D00M
MMOC Member: No

Clutch Slack tightening up at speed

Post by VAN_D00M »

Hi,
As title says. I get 40+Mph, round 50mph, and I can feel the slack being lost in the peddle to the point where its binding and vibrating the peddle.

I had a 20mi journey back so I kept slackening and slackening to the point where I have a ludicrous amount of play at standstill and very little at 50mph.

This is a new clutch and it's only done one 30+mile trip.

Before I rip the car apart again is there anything it's likely to be? Anyone had anything similar?

Thanks
Harry
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Clutch Slack tightening up at speed

Post by Edward1949 »

Are you saying that the clutch takes up free play at speed, then reverts to normal free play at rest? If so, the only logical explanation is that the engine/gearbox unit is insecurely mounted to the extent that when the car is under power the power unit shifts position and takes up clutch play. Is the gearbox steady cable OK?
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Clutch Slack tightening up at speed

Post by simmitc »

Just to clarify, you are saying that at rest the free play is so great that the pedal almost touches the floor without disengaging the clutch; but that once you get to 50mph then the free play is correct with about 1.25m inches of pedal movement (1098cc engine). Then you return to rest and the pdeal goes almost to the floor again?

If so, then the above post is probably on the right lines. Check all mountings are secure. The gearbox steady cable is there to prevent the engine and box sliding forward under heavy braking, and should have some slack in it.