Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Speedometer ser.no. coding?

Post by Owlsman »

I can hardly believe it's taken me a full year of ownership to find out that the odometer within my speedometer dial hasn't moved on at all :oops: . It's a '62 1098cc saloon with the bronze face and the single central main beam warning light. I'm considering either a replacement/refurbished unit or having mine repaired. The speedometer works fine but the total mileage covered remains static. I assume that there is unlikely to be simple 'fix'.....even if I knew what I was doing! I have visions of taking the back off - is that even possible? - and just like a watch, seeing 12 components fly off in 8 different directions :D .

Whilst on the face of it (no pun intended) my speedo dial seems to be the same as quite a few available on eBay, the code above the actual mileage readout is SN4477/00 whereas some others are SN4407/00. Does anyone know if these numbers relate to different types or calibrations of speedometer? Or are they compatible with one another and totally interchangeable?

Thanks a lot.
don58van
Minor Addict

Re: Speedometer ser.no. coding?

Post by don58van »

It would be ideal if you could match the serial numbers, but that might be difficult. So...
If the warning lamps are the same, then you need to check the Turns Per Mile (TPM) specification of your potential replacement. On the face, you will see in small print TPM then a number, probably 1376, 1408 or 1500 or thereabouts. Whatever the TPM number is, if that matches your current unit, you probably will be OK.
If you don't want to get another dud, make sure that the last digits on the odometer are NOT 99 or 999 or 9999 etc as these indicate that the odometer has most likely jammed (not uncommon).
Some Mini or Marina van or other similar looking gold-face units have different mountings and should be avoided.

This is worth a look: http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/ID/Speedo.htm
Don
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Owlsman
Your location may help,I can take a look at it free of charge..

At the present I'm building a speedometer calibration rig..

John :wink:
Manchester
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

If you are keen enough to follow that manual and try a DIY repair, I would be happy to assist once you see what is happening inside and report. The odometer is tricky to pull apart, clean and reassemble though.

Don
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

When I brought Basil his mileage had been the same for several years of MOTs.
The problem was the grease on the odometer was rock hard resulting in broken teeth on the tiny plastic gearwheels. I got a replacement exchange Speedo from CW in Bristol.
Basil the 1955 series II

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I’m not sure that i’d bother getting an odometer fixed...recorded mileages on Minors are usually quite speculative ! :D
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Seriously, I never cease to be amazed at the extent of help and support that this forum provides. Thanks everyone for your input so far. Every day's a school day for me, as far as MMs are concerned :D .

I need to get to Specsavers as I misread the ser. no. on my speedo. It is actually SN4477/30, so it looks as though a repair is the best option...….if I bother at all. According to the Potteries listing, there isn't another compatible 90mph speedo with the same 1376 TPM as mine.

Who knew that there would be so many variations of just one component? Many thanks for '9999' tip - would never have thought of that although I do always wonder why anyone would remove a seemingly perfectly good speedo from a car and then try to sell it on..…..Mmmm?

I live in Sheffield by the way, so not sure how practical it would be to link up with you John. Now, if my team were in the Premiership, I'd have an excuse to come over to either of the Manchester clubs......but we might be top of the championship tonight....there again!!! (Football aficionados - see my Username) :D

Thanks again everyone,

Alan
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Alan
Just had a look in the shed and found two of the above,just tested them and ones odometer doesn't move ...but the other one is fine...

Give me a pm if you're interested ?

Thanks
John

P.S. will be going to Huddersfield on 27th
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Sent you a PM, John.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

14:00 , nothing in my inbox?

Have sent you a PM...

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

SteveClem wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:27 am I’m not sure that i’d bother getting an odometer fixed...recorded mileages on Minors are usually quite speculative ! :D
Some insurance policies require annual notification of the mileage to show that you are staying within the limits of the cover, e.g. 2,000 per annum.
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

The insurance aspect is perhaps the one thing that is pushing me to get it sorted. My entire working life was spent in the general insurance industry - at one point as BM of a household name insurer and finishing up as a commercial insurance broker...…..so not much excuse by pleading ignorance :D .

I've just renewed my limited mileage classic car policy with the same insurer (LV) and surprisingly wasn't asked to declare the current mileage.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Now, if my team were in the Premiership
My younger son is the only known Owls supporter in Oxford! We lived in Sheffield in the 1980's and at that time Wednesday and Man U were in the same division, so we would go over to Old Trafford every season to watch the Owls/Man U match. One year they beat Man U 2-0 at Old Trafford - the 1985/1986 season! We were in the Man U family stand and Peter, aged 9, could not resist getting the Owls scarf out after the second goal!

As we were walking out after the match, one of the Man U supporters said to Peter "you need to get Wilkinson (Owls mgr) to show Atkinson (Man U mgr) how to do it". I wonder what would happen today!
Last edited by IslipMinor on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

John - I've 'sent' 2 x PMs now but not convinced that either have worked. There's nothing in my 'Sent items' or my 'Outbox' :(

Is it worth sending me a PM and I'll see if I can reply to it?

Alan
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

My younger son is the only known Owls supporter in Oxford!
If we get stuffed 5-0 against Cardiff tonight, I might be the only known Wednesdayite in Sheffield :D :D
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Owlsman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:54 pm John - I've 'sent' 2 x PMs now but not convinced that either have worked. There's nothing in my 'Sent items' or my 'Outbox' :(

Is it worth sending me a PM and I'll see if I can reply to it?

Alan
A PM should be in the Outbox until the intended recipient picks it up and then it moves to the Sent.... but the way this place plays up, who knows what might be occurring.
Basil the 1955 series II

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

geoberni wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:27 pm
SteveClem wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:27 am I’m not sure that i’d bother getting an odometer fixed...recorded mileages on Minors are usually quite speculative ! :D
Some insurance policies require annual notification of the mileage to show that you are staying within the limits of the cover, e.g. 2,000 per annum.
My insurers give me 10,000 miles a year between 5 classics. They’ve never asked for mileage details. But,to be honest I struggle to do more than 3k a year between the lot of them!
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Hmmmmm , nothing in my Inbox,outbox or sent messages ...
I,ll try again..

John
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

I've now got one in my outbox..