Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear wheel bearings / oil seal

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have removed my rear axle to fit my refurbished 1000 axle with 4.22 diff, at the same time replacing the 7 leaf springs, bump stops, plates, mounting rubbers, drop links and I've refurbished the rear dampers and replaced the oil in them.
My question is this: Prior to this I noticed no issues with the rear wheel bearings and associated oil seals, however to replace the axle etc. I had to remove the hubs. I removed them complete, so what do you recommend?
Can I put them back on, as is, or would I be better to renew the bearings and seals?
I have new bearings and seals, so that wouldn't be an issue, it just seems a pity to bin what seem to be good items.
Or am I labouring under an illusion / is this a false economy?
Your opinions and experience will be most welcome.
As always many thanks in advance for any help / advice.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear wheel bearings / oil seal

Post by philthehill »

The bearings in your rear hubs - if there are no known issues they may be better than those you have and are considering fitting.

Personally I would use the existing bearings but replace the seals, rubber 'O' ring if fitted and gasket.