Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Phil-1954
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Change Engine Mounts in Situ

Post by Phil-1954 »

All,

I am about to change the engine mounts and was hoping to do so in-situ. I was thinking of leaving the radiator hoses connected to avoid draining the coolant, but instead remove the four bolts that hold the radiator in place, thus allowing the engine to be raised at the front complete with hoses attached to radiator.(rear engine steady disconnected)
I will also be doing the gearbox mounts, but I presume this is easily achieved by removing the mount's cross-member from the car (rear end of box supported naturally)
Is this possible ?
Regards

Phil T
http://www.hvtesla.com
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Change Engine Mounts in Situ

Post by simmitc »

You'll see that the mounts are angled with studs through the engione front plate and the towers. I would remove the radiator to ensure that it is not damaged and to get more working space. Support the engine. Remove the nuts securing the studs to the front plate. Remove the four bolts holding the tower to the floor. It should now be possible to remove the mount form one side, and then jiggle the engine sideways to remove the other mount. Defniitely remove the steady bar first.

Gearbox mounts are easier with the gearbox cover removed, but should be possible from underneath.
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

I think that in order to replace an engine mount you not only have to lift the engine up but also push it to one side. I am not sure if this is possible without disconnecting the radiator.
Phil-1954
Minor Friendly

Post by Phil-1954 »

Thanks for the reply, i'll let my tame mechanic [son] know the news.
Regards

Phil T
http://www.hvtesla.com
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I changed mine pretty easily. Jacked up the engine from underneath and undone one tower at the base. Once you remove 1 tower you can do both quite easily.

I did not drain the water or remove the rad. There was enough room for access
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

As above it's perfectly easy to do it without disconnecting the radiator and so on by supporting the engine and undoing the tower bolts.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.