Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Spare engine

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I procured another 1100 engine for the Morris. The idea being to get this up and running, see how it goes, if it seems to work OK swap engines and overhaul the unit in the car.

When we turned the flywheel it nearly completed a full revolution before jamming up. My motor functions were rapidly failing in the cold (talking about my hands here), precluding any further work on the Snipe, so with this Moggy engine readily accessible curiosity got the better of me and I took the cylinder head off.

Apart from the general dirt and grime from standing the first fault was pretty obvious.

I raided one of my old 803cc heads for a replacement clip. At least I didn't throw them away, though I had been trying to get rid.

The head did not really put up much of a battle, a few blows with a hide mallet broke the joint.

The bores were much better than I expected with no ridge at the top, but these two grooves in Number 1 require further investigation. Broken piston ring perhaps?

With the cylinder head being pulled up the pushrods came with it so I had to pull them down out of the head again. As I expected, some of the cam followers had been pulled out, but I was going to remove the tappet chest covers anyway.

Also to be expected, as we both surmised, a valve or two was stuck open due to the length of time it had been standing.

So, curiosity satisfied I made a holder for the pushrods to keep them in order and put the cylinder head back on and everything else back together for another day. It has to be stripped down and everything cleaned up as a bare minimum. I wonder where the other half of that valve cotter clip went to - it could be floating about in the sump.

ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Spare engine

Post by ampwhu »

this reminds me of a 1098 sitting in the back of my garage still. a local man wanted rid and gave it to me about 5 years ago. all he wanted was a 'drink'. its still sat there under a cover in the warm and dry. I shall dig it out at some point.... I promise... :lol:
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

This has been outside for a long time. But, as it's as simple as a pitchfork and a copy of an American design, it will run again.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The valve cotter clips (Pt No: 2A12) can be considered as surplus to requirement - all later 'A' Series engines were produced without them.
Similar situation to the oil shroud (Pt No: 2A544) which fitted under the valve spring cap - surplus to requirements and deleted from later 'A' Series engines.

I would suggest that you fill the block coolant void with citric acid (food grade at 6 table spoons /litre of water) and leave for a month then rinse. The citric acid will remove all traces of rust/corrosion. I have recently used citric acid to do a 948cc block and the coolant void has come up like new. I have another 948cc block to do and I will use the citric acid again. The citric acid is available off 'e' bay and is reasonably priced. No need to put the head back on or remove the water pump. I just used an upturned bottom hose with the heater return blocked with a suitable bolt, You will also need to block the bypass hose from the water pump, again with a suitable bolt.
Fill the block void with the citric acid to the top face of the block.

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Excellent tip about the citric acid! Thanks.
When rummaging around in my sidevalve block years ago out came what I thought was a nail at the time but I realised it was a piece of stout wire which I presume was used in the casting process!

Alan
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Cheers Phil, I will certainly look into that as I have been having trouble with a Humber block silting up. It was a hard-water district car also suffering neglect and I dug so much mud out of the cylinder block drain you could've grown potatoes in it. Despite running cooling system flush through it, the drain tap was choked again when I went to drain it last week.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Well, I decided to do a bit more on this lump today and as I vacuumed the rubbish out of the bores it dawned on me it's a flipping low compression engine! At least I think so, as the pistons are deeply dished and from what I could glean from the engine number:

10AB-U-L 37020

So this engine will become redundant once I've finished with it and I will advertise it for sale.