Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markattard
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

steering wheel series II

Post by markattard »

the pics attached show my steering wheel purchased from ESM long time ago for my series II, problem is its not fitting as it should on to the steering column not far in enough to fit in the key.

My questions:

are the steering wheel and column in the pics the proper series II parts?
if yes should I force tap the wheel into the column?
if not is it a case of re engineering both parts to fit?

by the way anyone has a spare steering key? mine is not the best fit..

thank you!!
Attachments
20200224_090942.jpg
20200224_090942.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 1187 times
20200224_090909.jpg
20200224_090909.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 1187 times
20200224_090851.jpg
20200224_090851.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 1187 times
20200224_085951.jpg
20200224_085951.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 1187 times
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: steering wheel series II

Post by geoberni »

Hi
Looks the right wheel. I've never taken my wheel off, so not speaking of 1st hand experience here.

Is the Woodruff Key damaged/burred?
How well did the old one fit?
Hard to say without being there, but my inclination would be to get a bit of medium grade Wet n'Dry paper and give everything a good clean, the slot on the column, the Key and the slot in the wheel.

Are you saying the wheel wouldn't even fit over the column without the key fitted?
Again, a good clean up with Wet n'Dry paper.

How tight a fit was the original? Bear in mind there was/is a special tool to remove the wheel; it's not a loose fit.
Basil the 1955 series II

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Mark,
It is the same wheel as used on the MG TD. The size of the hole according to the Paul Beck website (MG TD Steering wheel Boss) should be
"Centre hole tapers from 22.35mm to 20.30mm - key ways 4.8mm", which tallies with the measurements that I have made on my TD wheel.
The woodruff key is available from Brown & Gammons but very expensive for what it is.
https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/td-mi ... type-aaa45
I may have a spare one in my Garage.
You may have to take a small flap wheel at it to reduce the diameter of the taper in the boss. The wheel can be a very tight fit! Aftermarket wheels can vary!
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Mark,
The single woodruff key slot is correct for the Minor I believe, so I'm with the others in believing you have the correct wheel.
Didn't old MG wheels have two?
I am in the middle of refurbing mine (in between the current weather tantrums! :wink: ), I have always 'wiggled' it on and off, being careful to line up key and slot first.
Try the key in the slot in the steering wheel before you file it to see how well it fits, as it may not need any 'adjustment'.
Then try wiggling the wheel onto the column without the key in place, if you can get it on and off but you struggle, maybe a little light oil on a rag wiped onto the top of the column will ease things? Or my favourite 'easement', a little copper grease?
If you do go down the sanding / filing route be careful not to take too much off, in a way it is meant to be a tight fit, for safety.
Best wishes,
Mike.

PS: If you loose one:
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... BBj&adurl=
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:53 pm If you do go down the sanding / filing route be not to take too much off, in a way it is meant to be a tight fit, for safety.
Just to stress I'm only advocating a clean up, i.e. removal of corrosion, old paint etc, not actual re-profiling :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

ESM lists these steering wheels as no longer available. Moss has them on offer for the MG TD/TF at the moment for £266.81 reduced from £313.90.
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/steering- ... soc=633204

Mark,
I have sent you a PM regarding the key.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Moss has them on offer for the MG TD/TF at the moment for £266.81 reduced from £313.90.
How much!!! :o :o :o :o
I'm going to be hanging onto my spare wheel then, b****r paying that for a replacement anytime in the future!
All the more reason for owners to buy some resin and repair their original wheels...........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Mike,
I did state "on offer". You should have taken your heart tablets before reading my post! :D
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan