Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Carty
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Swivel pin replacement

Post by Carty »

Forgive me if this is a well covered subject, but I’m struggling with getting my off side swivel pin, complete with new top and bottom bushes etc back on, along with the tie bar.
Could someone talk me through it, as it’s driving me mad. It all came off fairly straight forwardly 😁👏. I’m sure it’s something to do with jacking up and taking weight off the suspension but I’m just not getting it. Any advice greatly received.
Thanks in advance
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Swivel pin replacement

Post by philthehill »

Set the bottom arm as per the diagram below. Measurement 'C' is required. The arm needs to be set with it totally disconnected from the top link and without the swivel assy fitted.
img122.jpg
img122.jpg (301.04 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Remove the rebound bump rubber - that will allow the damper arm to go lower.

Fit the swivel to the bottom arm, fit the thin pressed arm.

Jack up safely under the bottom arm. Twist the top swivel to one side and twist the top swivel round onto the top trunnion pin. This does take a bit of effort but it can be done.

Final and fine adjustment can be carried out using the vernier plate at the rear of the torsion bar and which attaches to the cross member.

Do not final tighten all fastenings until the suspension has been settled by giving the car a couple of bounces.

Carty
Minor Friendly

Re: Swivel pin replacement

Post by Carty »

Many thanks for your detailed reply. All back together (until the next time)