Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
yellowpinky
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Front wheel bearings

Post by yellowpinky »

Greetings all... I'm looking to find out any info regarding front wheel bearings for my van, as I have been informed that they are different for owners who have converted their brakes to discs. I had the Ford vented disc kit fitted many years ago... it is the alloy hub version... but one side has been changed to the steel version.
Until lately I have been using the standard wheel bearings, so I'm wondering if there is another version of wheel bearing that is preferred, then what is the difference & why do the standard ones still fit? or is this just misinformation?
Part numbers & manufacturers would be useful too. Thank you ;)
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front wheel bearings

Post by philthehill »

When you say the bearings are standard - can you please enlarge?

The standard Morris Minor front wheel bearings are pre-loaded ball race bearings, the disc brake conversion front wheel bearings are non load taper roller bearings.

These are the taper roller wheel bearings for the steel and alloy hubs for Ford front disc brakes:-

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/brake ... h-p1238069

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/brake ... l-p1238369

The Minor and Ford types of wheel bearing are not interchangeable.

These are the standard Minor front wheel bearings:-

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/front ... gs-p830556

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

I have mg midget disc brakes fitted to my van. I used to buy all these bearings but always ended up replacing them often. there was always a small amount of play.

I fitted these recently.
wheel bearings.JPG
wheel bearings.JPG (38.1 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
they were purchased from moss

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/bearing-k ... soc=529364

i have no play at all anymore.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There should be a small amount of play at the road wheel circumference with a taper roller bearing.

Both the Marina and Ford taper bearings should have an end float of 0.005".
Last edited by philthehill on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If I remember correctly from Mini taper bearing hubs you tighten to eliminate play, then back off.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
As you are no doubt aware there are three front wheel bearing variables for the classic Mini front wheel bearings.

Cooper S / 1275 GT - roller bearings - tighten to 150 lb f ft. Preload is set by the spacer between the bearings. Design adopted because of the increase in front wheel power transmitted and wheel support. Preload is set to a very fine tolerance and when bearings are replaced the bearings/spacer must be replaced as a specially matched set. Also has split taper collars either side of the drive flange.=

All other Minis - ball bearing - tighten to 60 lb f ft. Preload is set by the spacer between the bearings.

Cooper 997cc / 998cc - has a spacer on the outer face of the hub.

Wksp man does not mention backing off.

Phil
Last edited by philthehill on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I accept your more knowledgeable post Phil, however I have backed off taper bearing in the past. I must have got the idea from somewhere! :o

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
Most taper bearings are tightened and then backed off to give the 0.005" end float but the classic Mini Cooper S 1275cc / 1275cc Gt are the exceptions.

Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes, I should know better about the Mini setup ! It was a while back—— well, that’s my excuse. :D

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Original RHP mg midget front bearings ( 34/LJT 25 and 3 MJT 17) which also fit the minor are available from Bearings Impex Ltd, Crewe. However IIRC they cost over £100 + vat per side. Obviously this information is useless if you have Ford or Marina disks.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

Phil, you are right. I have slackened it slightly for end float. I was on about vertical play.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

When you say ‘no play at all’, if you’ve got end float, by definition you’ll certainly have play somewhere.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Just a note on Minor standard wheel bearings - If there is play in the bearings it can be usually cured by taking 0.001" - 0.002" of one the spacer load faces. You do not need a lathe - just figure of eight on a piece of lubricated medium grit wet and dry placed on a piece of glass should suffice.

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

les wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:26 pm When you say ‘no play at all’, if you’ve got end float, by definition you’ll certainly have play somewhere.
Do you know what 0.005" is then? Can you feel it? Hub nut was tightened and then slackened off to the next split pin hole on the castle nut. That's enough for the bearings. It works so there you go.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

Using poor bearings previously in the same hubs gave me nothing but problems. Fitting the taper bearings as above in those same hubs leaves me with no play. I did what was suggested from the tech man at moss.

There is no play with the taper bearings compared to the poor bearings everyone else sells. Therefore its case closed and a solution to the issue.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes I know what 0.005” is, you can feel it and it will give some play, and as mentioned is required. However if you’re happy with whatever tolerance you have, that’s all that matters. The idea of the discussion is simply to arrive at the correct method of assembly. Sorry if I’ve rubbed you up the wrong way.

yellowpinky
Minor Friendly

Post by yellowpinky »

Thanks for the replies, an interesting read.
I'm still confused tbh, but need to chase up a few details my end to find out what was fitted previously...
another question though... does £52 for one wheel bearing sound right to you?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Straight answer - NO.

I do not understand why you are still confused as the information you require has been posted above.

Phil

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Are you having trouble with the bearings? If so, strip the hub and the bearing identification numbers will be stamped on the bearings. If you don't have a problem, add a bit of grease now and then and leave them alone.
yellowpinky
Minor Friendly

Post by yellowpinky »

I'm still confused because the guy at the shop said I could fit 'standard wheel bearings & they'd be fine... but these special ones for the Ford disc kit were correct & better... somehow??? He also said £52 was for a pair & only one turned up....
When my mechanic fitted them, he said they had the same part number as the ones that came out. So I need to check these serial numbers & receipts ,as I felt sure I just bought 'standard' wheel bearings the last time they were changed. I'm sure I would have remembered if they were £52 each! I also need to check if there was an error sending only one set rather than two...