Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front wheel bearings

Post by philthehill »

The guy at the shop is wrong to say 'standard bearings' - they are not - they are special to the Ford disk brake hub conversion.

The term 'standard' is a distraction.

If the new bearings are the same (part number) as removed I would suggest that there is no problem.

What I do see as a problem is the frequency that you appear to have been changing wheel bearings. Taper roller wheel bearings, lubricated and adjusted correctly should last a very long time.

Phil

ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

les wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:11 pm Yes I know what 0.005” is, you can feel it and it will give some play, and as mentioned is required. However if you’re happy with whatever tolerance you have, that’s all that matters. The idea of the discussion is simply to arrive at the correct method of assembly. Sorry if I’ve rubbed you up the wrong way.
you haven't Les. Forget it, I was having a bad day. Sorry if I was snappy.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Fair enough, these things happen.

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

yellowpinky wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:44 pm I also need to check if there was an error sending only one set rather than two...
Is that £56 for one bearing or one side (inner and outer). What make are the bearings? Many bearings are made in the far east but inspected in Europe, they are more expensive than far east produced and inspected bearings.
Also, be sure to check that the hub isn't worn, is the bearing tight in the hub?
yellowpinky
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by yellowpinky »

£56 was for one side of the car... so both sides of the hub & an oil seal... kit
I can't remember the make I'm afraid, but I did ask my mechanic to keep the packaging, which I've not seen since...
I've got a whole load of chasing up of details about this, but unfortunately too busy working long hours everyday... the joys of being self employed! all I can think about when I get home is sleep.
Anyway... I will check it all when I get a chance as even though it's only a few quid, I promised myself not to get ripped off again after a fairly recent clutch repair costing upwards of £1800!
One thing i have been able to check though is the last time the bearings were changed was July 2016... & yes on one side one of the hubs was worn & needed replacement.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Please do not misunderstand this comment but what did ‘ they ‘ do for £1800 relating to a clutch repair ?
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Probably a duel mass flywheel, they are expensive and need changing with the plate. Can't be £1800 for a Morris minor clutch?