Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
squire
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Type 9 Speedo cable size?

Post by squire »

Has anyone got a speedo cable for a Sierra type 9 gearbox lying about, as I would like to know the size across the cable flats in to the square drive in the gearbox, hope this makes sense. The cable has sheared flush into the drive in the gearbox with nothing to get hold of, may try drilling it out, else the the drive gear etc will have to be replaced, is this much of a job as the gearbox is not going to be removed, will use sat nav or GPS speedo if necessary.
Thanks for any help/advice.

Martyn.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Type 9 Speedo cable size?

Post by philthehill »

I doubt that you will be able to drill out the broken speedo cable from the gear spindle because of the make up of the speedo cable.

Personally I would take the speedo gear out and then you may be able to extract the broken part without too much difficulty.

squire
Minor Friendly

Post by squire »

philthehill wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:39 am I doubt that you will be able to drill out the broken speedo cable from the gear spindle because of the make up of the speedo cable.

Personally I would take the speedo gear out and then you may be able to extract the broken part without too much difficulty.
Thanks for your reply Phil, how does the speedo gear come out? Do I have to remove the core plug type blank the opposite side of the drive? If so I believe they are difficult to get out because of the cross member and worse too get back in due lack of access. I don't want to take off any more than I have to as I'm very restricted in how high I can raise the car safely.
Again any thoughts/advice very much appreciated.

Martyn
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The plug blank is difficult to remove but it is do-able.
Safely supporting the gearbox and removing the crossmember will give a bit more access.
Looking on the web some suggest that removing the plug blank and then the circlip will allow the removal of the speedo drive gear.

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/11 ... ve-removal

squire
Minor Friendly

Post by squire »

Thanks Phil, most of what I've seen on the web say it's doable in situ with the worst bit getting the plug out and the new one in. Getting the car up high enough is also a problem.

Martyn