Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Painting engine.

Post by parahandy 15 »

Dunno if this has been discussed before, but here goes anyway.
I got the block and head back from the machine shop today, steam cleaned it thoroughly , dried out .,and will set about rebuilding soon.

Is it better to spray the engine parts before assembly, or after? and in any case, should I prime first and with what primer? (heat resistant?)
I guess the engine would have originally been painted after assembly, but I would like to get some protection on as it might be some time before I can do the rebuild. Thanks .
kevin s
Minor Legend

Re: Painting engine.

Post by kevin s »

I would paint the areas which need it then oil the rest of it at the end of the day the paint is really only cosmetic, the surfaces that are important to keep rust free are the ones you won't be painting.
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

Thanks Kevin, All surfaces internally have been well oiled to prevent rust, I was asking purely from the cosmetic situation.When I said "Engine parts" I meant the block and head,not the internals. Should I prime first, and if so, will ordinary metal primer be OK for the heat?
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Most engine laquers go straight on the bare iron, I have also used teamac machinery paint before (only comes in tractor colours).

I've seen custom guys using standard 2 pack refinishing paint not sure how long it lasts though.