Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1275 timing marks

Post by les »

It’s the AEG163 I was comparing your lower photo to, the valves in which almost touched. I had trouble with mine which cracked between the seats. I tried a good few BMC dealerships to get a replacement but it had been discontinued so had to settle for the 12g1805 you mention. Incidentally a friend of mine has about three 163 heads but has avoided advertising until the crack issue is known.

alawrence10360
Minor Fan

Post by alawrence10360 »

The last few post have been a little lost on me I’m afraid
Am I missing a bolt ?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You appear to have two empty holes in the cylinder head which are normally used for an additional stud/bolt.
One hole is just behind the thermostat housing the other hole is at the rear of the head by the heater tap.
If you do not have the corresponding threaded holes in the block then there is nothing you can do.
I would advise you that there is no need to get concerned as the majority of 940 heads are held to the block by 9 only studs.
Having the two extra holes without stud/bolt is quite common when 940 heads with 11 securing stud/bolts are moved from transverse to in-line engines.
Just enjoy what you have.

ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

i'll hold my hands up and say I've never understood this timing mark stuff. I read the manuals many times over a coffee trying to get my head around it, but am still none the wiser. I was beginning to think it was old age!

the way I tend to do it, is get the rotor arm pointing to number 1 plug. put the dizzy in and get a mate to try and start the engine. i'm there turning the dizzy until its starts. with the amount of pictures on the internet of engines these days, you kind of know roughly where you need to be to start off with. once its running, I just road test it and adjust accordingly.

when I took it to a mate to do the alternator wiring last summer, I asked him to look at the timing. (van was running fine). he put one of these strobe lights on it and said it was out. he did it according to this manual I could never understand and now it runs a little better. the dizzy position has been marked with tip-ex so if I remove the dizzy, I can put it back again.

if I ever get the chance for someone to explain this in detail with me present, i'd love to be able to watch from scratch.

Phil, how about a training session sometime with some people in attendance? beer/coffee/cake could be supplied.
alawrence10360
Minor Fan

Post by alawrence10360 »

philthehill wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:09 pm You appear to have two empty holes in the cylinder head which are normally used for an additional stud/bolt.
One hole is just behind the thermostat housing the other hole is at the rear of the head by the heater tap.
If you do not have the corresponding threaded holes in the block then there is nothing you can do.
I would advise you that there is no need to get concerned as the majority of 940 heads are held to the block by 9 only studs.
Having the two extra holes without stud/bolt is quite common when 940 heads with 11 securing stud/bolts are moved from transverse to in-line engines.
Just enjoy what you have.
I can do that