Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

leaf springs

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Hi everyone.
Can someone explain the reason for covering leaf springs in hessian, or other fabric?
Is the idea to cover the springs in grease and then protect the grease with cloth? I have seen this especially on series Land Rovers.
Is it worth doing to a minor?
Thanks, John.
john newton
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: leaf springs

Post by john newton »

that is the idea,long ago leather spats were fitted on lux cars i remem,ber seeing one with oil gun nipples,i suppose some poor chauffer had to keep spats polished.oiled springs give a nice ride, i have heard it said that leafs crack because of extra flexing. re, john.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Only lubricate the springs if there is no wear to the underside of the leaf above at the end of the leaf below.
The spring can flex too much & hit the wear step and break.

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Interesting stuff.
My springs are rusty and splayed, and I am considering buying some new ones as a result. I don't think they have worked properly for years because they are so rusty, and probably do not slip over each other. They are 8 leaf too, so very hard.
Thanks, John.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Done it to mine,
rear spring minor.jpg
rear spring minor.jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Stripped the springs packed with grease and made gaiters out of an old sofa.

Gives a very supple ride, if anything it is a bit under damped now though, one day I will try thicker oil in the dampers.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

They are 8 leaf too, so very hard.
Thanks, John.
Hi John,
Saloon springs were originally 7 leaf, they changed to 5 leaf at some point in the 60's I believe.
I'm sure someone on here can give the exact year.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

kevins' springs look good.
Mine is an 8cwt pickup Mike, so I think the 8 leaf springs are right. I have thought about using 7 leaf for comfort, but I want to keep it original.
Thanks for the help everyone.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Ah, I didn't realise it was a pickup.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Had a close look at my leaf springs today, and found that the second longest leaf was worn down to about two thirds of its original thickness where it has been slipping on the leaf above. There was wear on other leaves too, and ridges where the end of the leaf stops on the leaf above. The springs have been rusty and splayed for years, and I think the top 2 leaves have been doing all the work. I was quite shocked to see it, and have ordered 2 new springs.
I would advise other owners to check their springs, although more conscientious owners than me probably already do; and thanks to Phil for highlighting possible problems.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Years ago I wrapped my serviceable springs in the woven type masking tape that was available, it seemed to do the trick and lasted well enough.
Has anyone thought about using heat shrink tubing on them, I am thinking it could be worth an experiment?

Alan