Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Weird oil leak.

Post by midget »

Having put my recently restored van on the road, and expected a few gremlins to correct, but cannot get my head around the one remaining.

It's an oil (?) leak which is depositing a fair size puddle on the nearside engine panel underneath the manifold, as soon as the engine is warm and driven. Cannot make it leak when stationary, checked tappet covers,rocker cover, pressure release cap?
Thinking it may be coming from the shocker, but it is an exchange/recon unit from trusted supplier, and uncertain as to the appearance of the "fluid", although I assume that it is engine oil. Is shocker fluid always Red? as I had already discounted that, due to the Green colour of the leak. Shocker appears to be dry?

Any thoughts please?
John
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Weird oil leak.

Post by ManyMinors »

Engine oil being drawn up the breather pipe into the air cleaner?
Obviously this would depend on the breather/air cleaner arrangement fitted to your vehicle :wink:
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I had oil drip from the air cleaner after the engine had been run. My breather system seemed to be fine as far as I could see so in the end I just put a loop in the pipe to the air cleaner. That sorted the problem (although you will note the piece of paper towel underneath just in case).
Attachments
DSC05788.JPG
DSC05788.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1036 times

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you have the later tappet/cam follower covers with the front cover having the breather/oil separator canister - check that there are no rust holes in the canister. The canister is prone to rusting away at the bottom which will empty oil onto the N/S tie plate.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks for plausible causes, but definitely not a breather problem, and wash your mouth out Phil :D --rusty canister indeed!
Breather canister is on the tappet chest cover but this is connected directly to the carb body. I assume this is correct?
I notice that the one pictured is connected to the air filter. I have inspected both the canister and filter housing and they are dry as a bone.
As the leak is only apparent when the vehicle is being driven, is the shocker suggestion plausible? Possibly over filled? it appears to be operating correctly.
Attachments
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 997 times
John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Maybe wrap a bag of some description around the shock absorber during a run, to eliminate.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Not a bad idea Les, I'll try it next time I have an excuse to actually use it.
John
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Glad to say that I have found the leak. It is from the left shocker! I have not had this before--is it a common problem?
This pic is after a 6 mile run.
Attachments
IMG_1118.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 818 times
John
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Well, all I can say is that it's common enough to have happened on my car too and, indeed, to the same shocker.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

A few years ago both my (old) front dampers began leaking, one after the other, and had to be replaced. But disappointing that you should have problems with a re-con unit :(
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Yes, fortunately, ESM have honored their excellent record by sending a replacement, despite the sale date in 2017.
Super response.
John
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

is it a common problem?
I think it is quite likely to happen if the damper is overfilled. The factor workshop manual makes it clear that an air-gap must be left when filling.

In operation, heat is generated and the oil expands. Without an air space to compress, the oil will force its way past the seals, possibly causing them to fail completely.

Don