Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Deaconbrody
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Marina disc brake conversion bearings

Post by Deaconbrody »

I have a Morris Minor Convertible with a Marina disc brake conversion. I was looking into what wheel bearings are fitted and got myself a bit confused reading all the posts on the forums. Could someone advise me on the following please?

1) Reading the information in the forums I appear to have a Grumpy kit.
2) My conversion still uses the Minor swivels.
3) Does this mean that I have spacers and adaptors fitted to the bearings?
4) As far as I can make out I would require Daewoo bearing No. 30203 17 x 40 x 13.25mm for the outer bearing and Daewoo bearing No. 30205 25 x 52 x 16.25mm for the inner. Can Timken bearings be used purchased from Bearing King?
5) I have Morris Marina wheels and tyres fitted.

Any advice and information would be greatly received.

Thanks, Ian
Attachments
IMG_3957.JPG
IMG_3957.JPG (171.85 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
IMG_3953.JPG
IMG_3953.JPG (147.99 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
IMG_3950.JPG
IMG_3950.JPG (170.5 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Marina disc brake conversion bearings

Post by philthehill »

The bearings required for the Grumpy's Marina disk brake conversion are:-

Outer ……………….SKF 30203 J2.

Inner...……………..Timken L44649 99401

Any bearing supplier should be able to transpose the bearing numbers.

There is a spacer fitted to the stub axle which is required to make up the difference in size between the Minor stub axle and the Marina inner wheel bearing. The spacer is also required to make up the difference in size between the Minor hub seal seat and the Marina hub seal seat.
The spacer needs to be Loctited in place so as to stop it rotating.

The wheel bearings are available from ESM. They are listed R/H & L/H but the only difference is the hub nut.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/front ... bs-p830490

The spacer is available from ESM but stock is diminishing. It is not listed by ESM but is BullMotif Pt No: MOD118A. You will have to ring ESM and ask for it. I recently obtained two sets of spacers from ESM by speaking to ESM.

The hub seal is Marina.

I did have the Grumpys Marina disc brake conversion fitted to my Minor with the above bearings but have now fitted Marina stub axles so both bearings are standard Marina. A modified spacer is still required though as the hub seal seat still has to be Marina sized.
Last edited by philthehill on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deaconbrody
Minor Friendly

Post by Deaconbrody »

Hi Phil, I was hoping you would reply, I read your posts on this subject. Thanks for the information. Ian
johngrigg
Minor Friendly

Post by johngrigg »

For the first time, I think, I am confused by a PTH post.if a marina hub and stub are both used would not the Marina seal fit without a spacer? I suspect this is a really stupid question but I would really like to know against the day when I do something similar . Cheers JohnG
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Marina seal as is will not fit as the I.D. of the Marina seal is bigger than the O.D. of Minor hub seal seat. The conversion spacer (with the bearing seat removed) still has to be fitted to make up the difference in internal/external diameters.
You need to be quick in getting the spacer from ESM. They are an old Bull Motif item and are not listed by ESM, you have to ask.

Below is are photos of the Minor swivel with Marina stub installed but without the conversion spacer fitted, fitting the conversion spacer and the conversion spacer fitted.
100_1433.JPG
100_1433.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1171 times
100_1434.JPG
100_1434.JPG (362.32 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
100_1435.JPG
100_1435.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1171 times
You have to make sure that the conversion spacer does not bottom out against the swivel, brake mount bracket before the it sits against the stub axle boss. Check that first and then remove the bearing seat. Easier to hold in the lathe that way.

Loctite the conversion spacer in place.

johngrigg
Minor Friendly

Post by johngrigg »

Thanks Phil, I have emailed Esm as I am too tight to make an international call and besides I would have to be awake in the early hours which is too hard these days. Unusually I haven't had a reply, the virus no doubt. Frustratingly I have located a wrecked Marina also most unusual in these parts but Can't get to it because of,you guessed it, travel restrictions, the virus, again!
Cheers JohnG
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have now got an updated ESM part number for the Marina bearing adapters.

The old B/M part number was MOD118A.

The new ESM part number is DSK104S.