Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andrew.searston
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Hif38 carb problem

Post by andrew.searston »

Hi everyone
I have a 1098 engine with 1275 head maniflow exhaust and hif38 carb. The carb has been set up on a rolling road and performs and runs very well when warm, the issue I have is when cold and on choke it spits back when accelerating and under moderate load until warm then it’s perfectly fine. The choke pulls fully on. Would like to sort this little issue when cold so that It doesn’t spit back
Thanks
Andy
[sig]9671[/sig]
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Hif38 carb problem

Post by paul 300358 »

Yeah, mine is the same, this is why Morris designed the inlet and exhaust manifold as a one piece unit, the hotspot has a use. I now wish that I had left my Marina inlet attached to the exhaust manifold.
It may be worth checking that your points gap is correct, and that the vacuum advance is operating correctly.
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Its has a dizzy with electronic ignition. It’s like it’s weak on choke until warm then perfect
[sig]9671[/sig]
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Have you got water connected to the inlet? If so, try leaving the heater on until the manifold is warm.
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

I haven’t put coolant pipes to the inlet, just trying to get it so when on choke I can pull away with confidence without it bogging down, every other minor I have driven although standard I’ve been able to drive off no problem on choke push it in as it warms up job done
[sig]9671[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Every standard Minor has the manifold hot spot to help reduce icing of the fuel in the inlet tract.

Way back I tried excluding the heat from the inlet manifold but had to reconnect the coolant pipes through the inlet manifold as the engine was experiencing the same symptoms as yours.

I would suggest that you reconnect the inlet manifold to the cooling system and see how it goes. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.