Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Clarke load leveller

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I just wanted to post up my recommendation for the above product, for any of you that don't have one.
I have just spent a very satisfying day installing my engine (along with a few other little jobs, not all Morris Minor related).
It was worthy of note because this is the first time I've used one of these. I picked it up from Machine Mart the other day and frankly I wish I'd got one sooner.
Usually installing an engine involves allot of faffing about trying to get things to line up and not scratch all the paintwork off or crush the brake pipe or wiring that goes across the front crossmember in the process.
Today none of that, the Clarke Strong Arm made it a stress free process, I was literally able to level out the engine and gearbox as it went in, no strategically positioned trolley jacks to get the gearbox over its crossmember, whilst the front of the engine gets scraped.
All in all a good days work.
Still more to be done but a step forward. :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
948 engine going in 1.JPG
948 engine going in 1.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 341 times
948 engine going in 2.JPG
948 engine going in 2.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 341 times
948 engine in place with wiring attached.JPG
948 engine in place with wiring attached.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 341 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Clarke load leveller

Post by philthehill »

There is only one problem with the Clarke load leveler and that is the spread/angle of the lifting chains where they are attached to the leveling beam - as illustrated in the above photographs.
The strain on those rocker cover studs is exceptional. The chains must fall near vertical so as to remove any bending strain on the studs.
If a bar was fixed to the underside of the load leveler and had a series of holes in it so as to allow the chains to fall vertical it would serve its purpose better.
An alternative which has a series of holes in the beam and into which more hole could be drilled at the required centres is shown in the link below:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Red-Prof ... SwONBZAgUi

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I thought the same about the pressure on the bolts and any damage that could be caused to them.
Good idea regarding moving the chains further inboard.

Nice looking engine Mike.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Perhaps a ratchet strap between the two large links at the bottom to hold them parallel?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

If a bar was fixed to the underside of the load leveler and had a series of holes in it so as to allow the chains to fall vertical it would serve its purpose better.
I like that idea and it could be easily bolted in place where the hooks pass through at present.
What thickness of metal would be enough to take the load though (allowing for say up to the weight of an MGB engine)?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

jagnut66 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 am
I like that idea and it could be easily bolted in place where the hooks pass through at present.
What thickness of metal would be enough to take the load though (allowing for say up to the weight of an MGB engine)?
Best wishes,
Mike.
It would only need to be the same thickness as the end plates but maybe weld some supports along its length between the holes for the fittings.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor