By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Mystery pipe

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks Phil,
How thick is your alloy plate? 10mm?
Also what size were the countersunk screws?
Sorry for all the questions.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The plate is 13mm thick by 90mm wide.

I purchased a short length off 'e' bay and used what I required. The short length was not expensive as I suspect it was an offcut.

The Allen screws are 5/16" UNC x 1 1/2" trimmed to suit.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks again Phil.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Standard BMC closed circuit 10 V Engine
The attached file shows the inlet manifold part of the closed circuit system - it is from the BMC Workshop Manual. The bottom of the PCV is connected directly to the inlet manifold and the hose coming out horizontally connects to the oil separator on the front tappet cover. The oil filler cap must be the vented/filtered type, and otherwise that is it - there are no other connections.
1098 PCV v5a.jpg
1098 PCV v5a.jpg (134.25 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Richard

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The oil separator shown in my post above can be if required connected to the PCV valve as normal.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The waxstat doesn't replace the choke, it adjusts the jet to compensate for temperature variation - but has a widespread reputation for going wrong
Just had a little read up on this on some other forums and it seems there is another fix for the waxstat out there.......
Apparently you prise open the tags, take the bottom off the waxstat, being careful not to loose the spring inside and replace the guts of it with two one pence coins, then replace the bottom and re-secure the three tags.
According to the post the waxstat is supposed to thin the mixture when hot and improve emissions / save some fuel, however in practice it has proven unreliable and can lead to the engine cutting out when warmed up..... :o
Replacing it with the coins turns it into a standard jet set up.....??

I think it's time for me to look through my spares stash and cannibalise one of my spare carbs.....
I'm thinking the waxstat part has to go.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by MattsGPOvan »

Chris our Morris historian has said my July 1969 GPO postal engineering Van was the first to have the closed circuit system....???
Engine number 10V189 E/L 13697 L for Low compression..... registered 26/9/69.

Not a 10 MA engine ( common vented rocker cover ).

Is there a early and more advanced system with this PCV valve? , which will mean l need too find a inlet manifold with a connection point for the PCV valve ???, and a PCV valve (if you can buy one 😉).

Chris said to me you need the carb with the brass outlet.

Any help would be great to clarify this matter.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you fit the manifold and PCV valve you do not need the carb with the brass outlet (actually inlet as the pipe draws fumes into the carb/engine for consumption - but I know what you mean)

You can purchase a PCV valve off 'e' bay. The additional fittings may be a bit harder to find. Make sure that you get the later PCV valve with the diaphragm not vulcanised to the plunger as spares for the early PCV valve are no longer available.

The early type of valve which is shown below is the type you should not purchase. Note the valve diaphragm spot vulcanised to the plunger plate:-
PCV valve 1.JPG
PCV valve 1.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1392 times
PCV valve 2.JPG
PCV valve 2.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1392 times

MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly

Post by MattsGPOvan »

Great stuff...

So a 10ME code engine is painted black with the PCV.

And my 10V189 E/L engine was...

1. Painted green
2. Plain rocker cover
3. Low compression dished pistons (GPO)
4. Vented oil cap.
5. Black Fan mount (GPO) with yellow fan.
6. Hs2 1 1/4” carb with brass outlet going to tappet cover ( with oil separator) ?????.
7. Later design of dynamo.

8. No PCV valve & inlet manifold?.

July 69 is stamped in many places... heater, ignition barrel, Wiper motor and bottom of one of the rear lower suspension spring.👍😉
Last edited by MattsGPOvan on Sat May 23, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Do you need a PCV valve with a hs4 carb? you don't with a hif carb.
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly

Post by MattsGPOvan »

I don’t know Paul.... Carb for 1098cc is HS2 with and without breather pipe.???

But thanks will keep you in mind.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Sorry Matt, I was still thinking of the original post and missed that bit!!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Well, I took Phil(thehill)'s advice and ordered a clutch breather from Mini spares, also ordering screws and a billet of alloy for the new base plate.
I made up my own gasket using gasket paper.
Not a hard job, in fact the hardest job was drilling out the final hole in my alloy base plate (drills blunt on alloy, a soft metal??)
Anyway, I enjoyed the challenge.
DSCF3592.JPG
DSCF3592.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1302 times
DSCF3593.JPG
DSCF3593.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1302 times
However, prior to acquiring this from Mini spares, I had put in the winning bid for the £10 tappet chest breather on eBay (paid a tenner! :D ), which it was later stated on here wouldn't fit.
When it arrived (and after cleaning it up) I found it would have have easily fitted in with the Maniflow exhaust system! That'll teach me! :roll:
DSCF3594.JPG
DSCF3594.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1302 times
DSCF3595.JPG
DSCF3595.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1302 times
C'est la vie..........
One in the spares box for next time......
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Sat May 30, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Jagnut

That oil trap canister cover in your photo is originally off a Mini, it is not the one fitted on late Minors.
The Mini one is canted forwards at a fair old angle, but the Minor one is stood up vertically and would be much closer to the exhaust manifold.
I think if you try to fit a Mini one on a Minor it interferes with the radiator and or the radiator hose.

Phil
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I did more or less the same as Phil.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Breather_1.jpg
Breather_1.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Breather_4.jpg
Breather_4.jpg (28.16 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Breather_6.jpg
Breather_6.jpg (574.42 KiB) Viewed 1278 times

Regards
Declan
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I did more or less the same as Phil.
Regards
Declan
I like that Declan. A very neat solution.
Best wishes,
Mike.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It does need some sort of oil separator between the crankcase and either PCV or carb though. I suspect Declan has got that covered.

Declan - I note that you do not appear to have a breather/oil separator on the timing chain cover which is normal for a 1275cc Midget/Sprite engine. Any particular reason?

Phil

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

That oil trap canister cover in your photo is originally off a Mini, it is not the one fitted on late Minors.
The Mini one is canted forwards at a fair old angle, but the Minor one is stood up vertically and would be much closer to the exhaust manifold.
I think if you try to fit a Mini one on a Minor it interferes with the radiator and or the radiator hose.
I turned it at an angle (not pictured) to see roughly where it might end up if it was actually fitted, you may be right, it would be tight but equally it might be made to fit / work. When I get another engine to build up, as a spare, I will fit it and see.
Worst case scenario: I end up buying another Mini clutch breather and billet of alloy for a base plate.
In which case it can go back on eBay, looking allot better than when I bought it, namely it has been thoroughly flushed through with petrol, cleaned up, rust treated and is at present being resprayed in satin black. So it will be clean and ready to fit.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Phil,
That was the cover that was on the engine when I bought it. I have a Land Rover flame trap fitted.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Flame trap.jpg
Flame trap.jpg (880.68 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »