Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kiwimog
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

MG Metro bits

Post by kiwimog »

Years ago I did a 1275 Marina conversion in my van. At that stage I also had a FWD Hornet and picked up a MG Metro motor with a mind to converting it. The Hornet has been gone for a while, but I still have the MG motor.

I'm keen to up spec my Marina motor and obviously some bits can be swapped with ease (alloy rocker cover, those attractive manifolds and carb), but if I only do these swaps I won't get the full MG Metro package - all 72 bhp of it.
There is a MED Race Tech clip on youtube suggesting transverse to in-line conversion is a day's machining (2 dowels, 6 holes & tapping oil pick up).*
If my metro motor isn't worn out, this would get me the MG's cam and high compression, distributor, also the water plumbed oil filter (if it fits without fouling the MOG chassis??) that doesn't drain oil all over the engine when one replaces it.

1. Is it possible to swap my A-series Marina crank into the modified A+ outfit (and use the MG pistons/conrods)?
2. I see comments for and against connecting the water flow to the inlet manifold in other threads, but happy to hear them again.
3. Please feel free to make suggestions or pick apart any flaws in my plans/thoughts.

kiwimog

* spridget owners are running out of spridget blocks!
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MG Metro bits

Post by philthehill »

MG Metro 22.jpg
MG Metro 22.jpg (466.82 KiB) Viewed 839 times
Why not move everything to the Marina block if it is in good condition?

Not only does the cost of the machining have to be taken into account but also the cost of the rear main/rear main seal kit.

The Marina crankshaft and pistons/rods can be fitted into the MG Metro block. Make sure that the bore sizes are the same though.

The MG Metro oil/water intercooler is a tight fit into the Minor engine bay. I have mounted my intercooler on and to a remote oil filter housing. The MG Metro intercooler seal is no longer available. The intercooler is available but very very expensive.
Because of the non availability of the seal and the expense of replacing the intercooler I have used a Renault/Citroen intercooler which is near the same but much lighter. You must use the MG Metro filter head if using the Metro intercooler as the Metro intercooler is very heavy and there is the possibility of the Mini type filter head breaking off.
The MG Metro coolant plumbing arrangements are different to the Minor and have to be revised. The MG Metro cylinder head does not have the facility to fit a thermostat. The thermostat is fitted into a separate housing bolted on top of the head.
I would advise that the inlet manifold is heated to reduce the possibility of icing of the mixture.
100_3409.JPG
100_3409.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 857 times
intercooler 28.JPG
intercooler 28.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 861 times

kiwimog
Minor Friendly

Post by kiwimog »

Thanks Philthehill,

It sounds like you are suggesting swapping the MG bits to Marina block is still the best/sensible option.
I've never swapped cams before - is cam and followers swap straightforward? Will it match my Marina oil pump?

From a chat with Metro owners, they suggested the engine numbers of MG head I have means the same valve sizes as my Marina Super, in which case I am best to stick with original head and avoid plumbing hassles (although I will aim to plumb in that inlet manifold).

If I understand correctly, the MG should still higher have higher compression than my Marina, so if bore size is same (and wear on everything within acceptable limits) can I swap pistons/conrods to my Marina crank??

Metro distributor straight swap to Marina block?

Cheers, kiwimog
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Swopping the MG Metro parts to the Marina block to me is the most sensible and cost effective option.
Swopping the camshaft is easy.
You should be changing the oil pump anyway. It is the beating heart of the engine and not expensive for what it does. I suspect that for the Marina you have a spider drive oil pump whereas the MG metro could have a slot drive. Strip out the pump and camshaft on both the MG and Marina and see what the oil pump drive is.
You should also replace the cam followers as they get worn to each individual lobe.
The MG Metro head is a much better head than the Marina and I would aim to fit that head to the Marina. See chart below.
If the bores are the same you can swop the con rods and pistons over but replace the rings with new as the old will not be suitable for use in old or used bores.
The MG Metro distributer will fit the Marina block - it is a different system but which can be made to work.
cyl head details.jpg
cyl head details.jpg (870.85 KiB) Viewed 794 times

kiwimog
Minor Friendly

Post by kiwimog »

Thanks philthehill
shivey
Minor Friendly

Post by shivey »

Hi I did this swap over 20 years ago on my engine although ital.I did have problems getting rings,i think the Mg used powermax pistons they were very thin rings,really good camshaft and had bigger valves,I used everything off the mg i could unbolt but not the dizzy they say you have to have a matching coil,correct me if i'm wrong,it still runs has sweet as a nut with the 5 speed box and 3.9 diff.at the time i picked up a predrilled flywheel and backplate from a friend who gave up on his prodject...good luck well worth doing
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The original pistons fitted to the MG Metro had four rings per piston. Later pistons had just the three rings.

See the links below for piston and ring information.

http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... ts_id=6647

http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... ts_id=7038