Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
steve.ellis
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wiper wheel box compatibility

Post by steve.ellis »

I have a 1969 Traveller. I am not sure what type of replacement wiper wheel box I need to order.

The wiper wheel boxes currently fitted have a black plastic(?) Spacer sleeve that sits below the surface. (in addition to the chrome finisher that sits above the surface and directly below the nut that holds it all in place).

Spares catalogues show pictures of wheel boxes with the plastic sleeve for earlier models ; all pictures for 63-72 models show the wheel boxes without the plastic sleeve.

Maybe my Traveller has the ‘wrong’ earlier wheel boxes fitted? If that was to be the case, would the whole wiper assembly need to be the ‘wrong’ earlier type for the current wheel boxes to be compatible with it?

One of the plastic sleeves is broken and needs to be replaced.

Do I need to replace it with an earlier ‘wrong’ type or will I be able to fit a 63-72-wheel box to the existing assembly?
Or maybe they all come with the plastic spacer sleeve but the spares catalogues do not show the sleeve on the 63-72 wheel box illustrations?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Steve.

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wiper wheel box compatibility

Post by simmitc »

Every Minor from 1963 to 1971 on which I have worked has had the plastic sleeves that are essential to position the boxes at the correct angle, not sure why you don't see them in the catalogues - unless it's just that they aren't available new? If the boxes are worn then withdraw the rack, rotate the spindles through 180 degrees and replace the rack. This can be done without removing the tubing, and means that "new" gear teeth will mesh with the rack.

If you do need to replace the box, then check the number stamped on the back, and count the number of teeth on the gear wheel. At one time, some suppliers were shipping boxes that looked the same, but with a different tooth count, the sweep of the blades was wrong.

If you need a new spacer, then you can cut one from nylon/ethylene/poly something tube stock.
steve.ellis
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Wiper wheel box compatibility

Post by steve.ellis »

Many thanks for your reply.
I will make a spacer from some suitable pipe and hopefully job done!
Cheers.