Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Non starter

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I think I may also have an issue with my fuel pump (bought recently as a refurbished replacement) but I didn't want to hijack the fuel pump post that is in 'New Posts' at present.
My engine turns over, I have a spark at the plugs, my leads are set up to the correct 1 3 4 2 order, however, no matter at what angle I place the (Sparkrite electronic) distributor, in an effort to get her to fire, she won't start.
Not even a rumble.
One thing I have noticed is a distinct lack of the smell of petrol on the plugs though. I would have expected to have flooded her after prolonged attempts at starting.
The pump is getting hot but not ticking......
I have pulled its base apart and there was fuel present and no apparent blockages caused by any crud in the tank.
When reassembled and refitted it sprang to (rapid) life and replenished the empty chamber, then stopped again and once more fell silent.
After another prolonged attempt at starting there is still no smell of petrol on the plugs or emanating from the engine.
So this is where I need the proverbial 'fresh pair of eyes'.
I can't see any 'schoolboy errors' but I am open to suggestions.
Many thanks in advance, as ever, for any help given.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Non starter

Post by geoberni »

Mike
sounds to me as thought the fuel isn't getting from pump to pots, so to speak.
So I'd look at the Carb side of things.
Basil the 1955 series II

Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

As part of the process of elimination try pouring a egg cup of fuel down the air intake and see if you get it to fire. Is the pump ticking when the ignition is on?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Richard,
As above it gets hot but doesn't tick, except for the two times its bottom filter chamber was empty: When I first powered it up (with a new cunifer fuel line attached between the tank and the pump), plus after I'd stripped down the bottom of the pump to make sure there was no 'crud' blocking the filter. I found it to be clean, with some fuel in it, which I cleaned out, so I could dismantle and inspect it.

However, I also took Berni's earlier advice to check the carb side of things and located a large jar and placed the fuel hose from the pump (that was attached to the float chamber) in it.
Now I'm assuming that it should pump like a thing possessed at this point, trying to fill the jar.........
Not a tick nor a click and not a drop of fuel passed into said jar.........

Now, as I've had fuel in the pump previously and again 'assuming' that even if there was a massive air lock it would be busting a gut trying to drag fuel through, I'm thinking it's a duff one......

Time for a new pump and a refund maybe?
Obviously if you think I'm heading in the wrong direction please advise me.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

Hi Mike,
It does sound like a faulty pump if there is no activity. Have you tried the favourite method of giving it a tap with a hammer?
Any chance of a refund?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If the pump has been on a shelf for a long while then the diaphragm may try out and become stiff. Try removing the valve chamber and rinsing the diaphragm in wd40, work it in and out, then reassemble and test again.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

If the pump has been on a shelf for a long while then the diaphragm may try out and become stiff. Try removing the valve chamber and rinsing the diaphragm in wd40, work it in and out, then reassemble and test again.
And this is one reason why having access to a site like this, with a wide variety of people on it, all with different experiences, is such a plus!
Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees and you are so immersed in a problem that you can't see or overlook all of the possible solutions.
At the point your mind turns to fudge is also the point at which you should walk away for a while, follow Monty Pythons sage words:
And now for something completely different.......

It wasn't that the pump had been sat around and become stiff in this case but it was the diaphragm.
Thinking ahead, I had changed it to a new replacement one that I had sourced, which is E10 resistant. I had screwed it in place then wound it back four turns, an amount that was quoted in another (old) post on here.
However, 'simmitc's' post inspired a 'lightbulb' moment......
I dismantled the bottom of the pump again and, with nothing to loose, wound it out another four turns.
At this point (of looseness / free play in the diaphragm) you have to watch out that you don't loose those small brass 'rings' (bearings?), two of mine made a bid for for freedom but I was working over the sink (with the plug in place), so they were soon recaptured and reinstated.
With the bottom reassembled I refitted the pump to the car and........... success!! :D
She now pumps fuel properly and I was able to start my freshly reassembled / installed engine for the first time.
Just a brief run mind, I haven't refitted the radiator yet and I didn't want it to overheat and seize up, as it was she warmed up fairly rapidly.
So thanks to all and now for the next hurdle............
Best wishes,
Mike.