Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Clutch Operating Lever

Post by pgp001 »

I have just done a trial assembly of the gearbox onto my newly built spare engine, the clutch friction plate and the release bearing are both new, but the clutch cover is not and I have no idea of its past history although it looks to be in decent condition generally.

I thought I would give the operating lever a pull to make sure the clutch disengages but it is absolutely solid, I cannot get any movement at all, I tried extending the lever with a piece of pipe over it, but I still cannot get any movement and it feels as though the lever is on the point of bending.

All I can think is the clutch cover is the problem as it is the only bit that is not brand new.
Any ideas what to look for would be appreciated before I buy a new one.

Also, what is the current thinking on either a conventional Borg & Beck coil spring clutch or one of the diaphragm types ?

Thanks
Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Clutch Operating Lever

Post by philthehill »

You will have to remind me - is the set up 948cc, 1098cc or 1275cc.

Have you put the clutch center/driven plate in the right way round?

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Hi Phil

It is a standard 1098 engine and rib case box, and yes definitely flywheel side as marked on plate was correct way round.

I have had it all in bits again and tried once more with the same result as well.

Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thanks for the reply.
There is very little to go wrong with a clutch cover unless it has been dismantled.
See wksp manual section EE, illustration EE4 for an exploded diagram of the clutch pressure plate assy.
Have a close look at the release levers and the parts that connect with the actual pressure plate - one or more of the eyebolts/struts could have come loose or moved if it has had a hard knock.
Do the eyebolt nuts appear to be set correctly? Are the locking indents (in the rim of the nut) in line with the indents in the eyebolt? If they are not the clutch cover has been played around with and that could be your problem.
Last edited by philthehill on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Thanks Phil

I will have another play with it after work this evening, I am just not sure just how difficult it should be to move the operating lever manually.
I did put the cover under my arbour press last night, and I could get it to operate that way, but there is 2 tons available so hardly surprising.

If you were going to buy a new clutch, where would you go ?

Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Clutch pressure plates hardly ever wear out unless they are totally abused or the rivets of the driven plate have been allowed to wear into the pressure plate.

Too many serviceable pressure plate units are scrapped or past for exchange when there may be a lot of life/miles left in them as they are.

It is the driven or center plate that wears out and most of the time just changing the driven plate is all that is required.

The last clutch I bought was a NOS item sourced off 'e' bay.

Here is a 1098cc clutch cover - not sure that it is NOS item though but it looks to be useable - I would not worry about the rust as that will clean off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/morris-minor ... SwLcZey2-6 Current price is ok.

Current clutch assemblies are much of a muchness and I am not impressed with the quality of the items offered. So it is a case of you pays your money and takes your chance.