Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Clutch Operating Lever Position

Post by pgp001 »

I wonder if anyone can tell me where I should expect the clutch operating lever to be positioned in the oval gearbox cutout.

I am doing a trial assembly of the gearbox onto my spare engine and just as the thrust bearing starts to touch the pressure plate disc there is only about another 3/8" before the lever will foul on the back of the oval cutout.
The lever has at this point gone "over centre" and is leaning forwards inside, and backwards outside the bell housing.
I have replaced everything including the friction plate and thrust bearing, I did wonder if it was an incorrect thrust bearing for a 1098, but I have double, double checked and it is the right one, it is a NOS Borg & Beck HD3310 that cam in its original box and wrapping.
I have another used one that has the pins even further back from the bearing face, I believe that is apparently a 1275 version.

The release lever is part number 22G167 which also appears to be correct.

Any ideas please ?

Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Clutch Operating Lever Position

Post by philthehill »

Firstly check that you have the right front gearbox cover fitted. For a 1098cc gearbox the front cover should be Pt No: 22G118. The part number is cast into the front cover.
Next check that you have the right clutch release arm.
see link:- http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/TO ... arings.htm
Make sure that the release arm is not bent.
Next make sure that you have the right clutch release bearing.
see link above:-

The release arm should not be past center when making contact with the pressure plate release pad.

Whilst you should not have to I have in the past had to bend the release arm to suit and open up the hole in the bell housing to allow sufficient movement of the release lever.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Hi Phil

I have all the correct parts installed and the lever is not bent, I am going to see what it looks like with the 1275 release bearing installed tomorrow evening.

Phil
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I have now fitted the 1275 clutch release bearing, and that being about 4mm deeper from pins to face gives a much better position for the lever, so I am happy that will work OK now. Everything is brand new and standard, so why the 1098 release bearing does not work very well is a mystery.

Just to be sure, I jury rigged an extension bar so I could operate the clutch by hand and see how it feels, with not too much movement the clutch releases enough so that I can turn the gearbox output shaft whilst in top gear and I can hear the friction plate spinning between the pressure plate and flywheel. And there is still plenty of room in the oval slot so the lever should never bottom out.

Phil